Do you think these are Jersey????

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Been looking for a jersey heifer to turn into a nurse cow. Found these 2. There are 2 pictures of each. The second girl looks right to me but the second I am less sure of. Can anyone give me ab opinion if ya'll think these girls might be a 100% jersey. I take new sellers word to be half trustworthy sometimes.

Its craigslist, I have never had one give me that kind of guarantee. These are close to auction price is the only reason I am considering. I cant find any at the sales. For the same price at the dairy for one wet jersey I can get these two, and right now I dont have any bottle calves in need of milk.

Like others have already said they may be non breeders. If they haven't been checked, I would pay particularly close attention to their udder development or lack of it. Non breeders typically just have little button or knot like teats. Even at a young age there should be some development and easily visible teats.

They look like jerseys but seem to be a little meatier. Could have some beef in them but could just be well fed. If you like them, they are about auction price, you probably can't go wrong. I think the second one looks more jersey than the first, more angular. The thing about them and the breeding is if they happened to be twins to a bull, they most likely will not breed. That said, they would make good beef in the freezer so you really wouldn't lose. Realize also that it will be more than a year before they are fresh and have available milk to either put calves on them or to milk. They look to be in the neighborhood of 4-500 lbs? Yearlings? An already milking cow takes the non-breeding out of the equation, but if you don't need the milk now AND won't need it for a year then you are in good shape.
Don't know what you are considering auction price, but if it is 1.00 lb or less then they ought to be a decent buy. Here, a jersey heifer will be worth about twice that on craigslist. Cull cows from a dairy are about .60 lb at the auction, and you don't know what you are getting. A milk cow at auction in the "head cow pen" would bring 4-800 all according who is there to buy. I paid $900 for a bred jersey heifer from a dairy because she had one bad quarter, and the farmer didn't want to freshen her out. She was bred AI, had a heifer calf and I milked her. Yes she is 3 quartered but that's okay. I am happy. She is bred back now for a fall calf and her daughter will be bred at the appropriate time to a jersey. Since I milked her, don't know if she will take other calves but she fed hers plus provided milk for me and another calf that I was bottle feeding.
Jersey beef here is worth about 60-70 cents per pound at the auction. Sold a 875 lb jersey steer for .66 lb. last week that someone backed out on and I didn't want to keep feeding him. Already have another going next week for butcher and don't have enough freezer space for 2.
All according to the price I'd be very interested.... and I have 3 dairy cows due this fall and 2 jerseys to heifers to breed and 3 that are 1/2 dairy that will be bred beef shortly.

farmerjan":mky1o6tt said:
They look like jerseys but seem to be a little meatier. Could have some beef in them but could just be well fed. If you like them, they are about auction price, you probably can't go wrong. I think the second one looks more jersey than the first, more angular. The thing about them and the breeding is if they happened to be twins to a bull, they most likely will not breed. That said, they would make good beef in the freezer so you really wouldn't lose. Realize also that it will be more than a year before they are fresh and have available milk to either put calves on them or to milk. They look to be in the neighborhood of 4-500 lbs? Yearlings? An already milking cow takes the non-breeding out of the equation, but if you don't need the milk now AND won't need it for a year then you are in good shape.
Don't know what you are considering auction price, but if it is 1.00 lb or less then they ought to be a decent buy. Here, a jersey heifer will be worth about twice that on craigslist. Cull cows from a dairy are about .60 lb at the auction, and you don't know what you are getting. A milk cow at auction in the "head cow pen" would bring 4-800 all according who is there to buy. I paid $900 for a bred jersey heifer from a dairy because she had one bad quarter, and the farmer didn't want to freshen her out. She was bred AI, had a heifer calf and I milked her. Yes she is 3 quartered but that's okay. I am happy. She is bred back now for a fall calf and her daughter will be bred at the appropriate time to a jersey. Since I milked her, don't know if she will take other calves but she fed hers plus provided milk for me and another calf that I was bottle feeding.
Jersey beef here is worth about 60-70 cents per pound at the auction. Sold a 875 lb jersey steer for .66 lb. last week that someone backed out on and I didn't want to keep feeding him. Already have another going next week for butcher and don't have enough freezer space for 2.
All according to the price I'd be very interested.... and I have 3 dairy cows due this fall and 2 jerseys to heifers to breed and 3 that are 1/2 dairy that will be bred beef shortly.
The local dairy has straight jersey, bred AI, producing 5 gallons a day for $1250. My neighbor got one and has 3 charolais bulls calfs on her. Think the sure bet is the better way to go? Just get her and some orphan calves from the auction? The 2 heifers in the first post would be a little over $1300 and need to be fed. I have a jersey bull the rebreed the jersey cows or heifers.

Yeah, I would go with the sure thing. Especially since you would have to feed those heifers for awhile and still wait the 9 months for the calf. A decent jersey cow, milking, would be ready to go now, you can find some calves, and make back her cost pretty much in the first calf crop. If you have a bull to breed her with, 50/50 chance of a replacement heifer so you would be ahead and if a bull, there's your beef and she will be feeding more calves. Yes, I'd go with the sure thing.

RanchMan90":1dzwi38t said:
I sold a 6 year old hojo pair for $1500 and a 2x8 Holstein heifer for $1350 last week if that's any reference for prices.
This heifer from the dairy has been bred AI

Latest posts