Do you think he will make a good show steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

The picture is of my steer that was born from my Heatwave show heifer and sired by Grizzly. He is 6 months old today in the picture & I have already gotten him to the point where he is halter broke, show stick savy, used to the grooming chute and good for baths and blow drying.
I am taking him to my county fair at the end of August and am anxious to see what the judge will say. I may keep him to raise as my FFA market steer next year, or I may sell him if it is to a good kid who will be able to show him more than I can (college takes up way too much time to get him to any other shows other than fair!)
My question at this point is what do you all think of him? What flaws and strengths do you see from the picture?
And if I was to sell him what would be a fair asking price to sell him as a show steer?

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Christaonahorse/?action=view&current=titanat6monthsold.jpg
Thanks for any help!!

titanat6monthsold.jpg

There is no good way to tell you what you need to know
Except- most show animals are bought from people who have built up a reputation
So you will find it very hard to market ANY animal as a show steer.
Eat it- it will probably taste REAL good. That what they are supposed to be for anyhow.

You can always sell him to the Demetrius program.

Seriously though, he'll never be a show animal.

hillsdown":3ovhkiw5 said:

He may be in an awkward stage but I agree with Knersie. However I am no expert on beef show animals at all but the steer reminds me of those Tupperware toys that had as a kid where you could put a giraffes neck on a dogs body etc. Meaning that he looks like 3 or 4 different animals put together ,not consistent at all. Sorry, but glad you made him a steer to begin with and not think he was seedstock material . Best of luck with whatever you decide . :wave:

Unfortunately your calf lacks balance and style. He appears to be too straight in his hind leg set, too straight in his shoulders, and looks to be pinched in his heart girth.

I know that show steer producers try for the straight legs, but this is a structural problem that causes the calves to break down as they get heavy. In an ideal animal you would like to see some slope from the point of shoulder to to the top of the wither. I wpuld like to see the steer to show more depth in his fore and rear flank.
s.

I bet ya' when he gets old he will walk post legged and won't be sound unless you walk him all the time and keep his feet trim correctly.
He for sure has the butt, but nothing else goes good with it. That could be said for all his parts like hillsdown said.
Hope you do good showing how ever he looks

As stated prior he lacks balance, and does look to be strait on both ends, he appears to look a little bloated in the picture it may be skewing his top line some, but in the picture he also appears to dip behind the shoulder.

If he is too strait it will not get better with time. How does he move, does he track well, is his head up or down when he walks? If he does not track well, walks with his head down, swings his legs or roaches now. He will definitely have more issues later. He has the bone for a show steer just not sure of the rest of him. When breeding show steers (Heat Waves especially) you run the risk of structure issues. The Main based bulls like Ali, Dirty Hairy, I-80 seem to click with the Heat Wave cows, you might want to try one of them

Latest posts