Do you support COOL?

Help Support CattleToday:

I watched the food safety hearings in Congress last night on C-SPAN- and many of these Congressmen are finally getting pretty upset at FDA/USDA and the importers/Packers/Retailers for not coming up with some more truth in labeling....

They were really upset with the fact that many are passing off old (sometimes even rotten) meat products, packaged in CO2 to maintain fresh colorization, without any labeling to show that has been done...Not only is this happening with beef products- but also imported shrimp/fish that actually was found to be rotten altho it looked fresh :shock: :(

Just like with the M-COOL, if they don't act on their own- I think Congress may be forced to legislate it....

I'd be all for it if it weren't for the cost. Who do you think will pay for? Cargill??!! :lol2: How about the feedlot? :lol2:
No it will come down to the ranchers, it always does. Read in the Canadian Cattleman magazine:
Theresa Keddy, spokesperson for the CCA, said a study done by the association in 2002, based on the original legislation, found that in its first year of implementation mandatory COOL would cost the Canadian cattle and beef industry an estimated C$200 million.

That said if they promised me it wouldn't cost me anything I'd love to see it happen. Let me rephrase that, if it doesn't cost me anything, they will promise anything.

If I buy any product it says on the package where it is manufactured . Why should food be any different ? This business about it costing so much is just an excuse .

Larry

Latest posts