do you put plugs in your tires?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Brush-hogging is giving me weekly flats in my front tires on my 40hp kubota. Until I pause long enough to foam fill, do you guys plug your fronts?

I'll out a plug in nearly any tire leaking. Even put one in the wife's SUV tire this morning. I still took it to the shop to be patched later, but they said it's not leaking.

I've not had a flat on the tractor yet but wouldn't hesitate to do that. Trucks and four wheeler has them. The truck I would do as previously mentioned, take it to a shop later to be checked/patched.

We have a ridiculous amount of honey locust (a work in progress) & average a plug on either the UTV's, trailers or tractors at least once a quarter. Amazingly the trucks are spared - 1 flat in the past 3 years & when I took it in they patched it.

I will put a plug in anything (that doesn't have a tube) and if it seals I'll usually forget about it.. never had a problem. On road vehicle front tires I usually will take the tire off and put a plugpatch in (it's a patch with a plug 'stem' on it) like a tire shop would do... rear tires (especially on my dually) and trailer tires I'm not as concerned about. All the farm equipment has tubes so I'm kinda stuck with taking the tire off and patching it every time.. haven't had too many troubles tough.

Heck I have plugged holes it took 2 plugs to fill and that's the truth. Doesn't hold for long but holds longer than the hole does. Not crazy about plugging steer tires on the truck but I have in a jam. Everything else is fair game. Some last a few weeks some last for years. Buying good plugs and using cement helps.

SmokinM":5vgouvk2 said:
Heck I have plugged holes it took 2 plugs to fill and that's the truth. Doesn't hold for long but holds longer than the hole does. Not crazy about plugging steer tires on the truck but I have in a jam. Everything else is fair game. Some last a few weeks some last for years. Buying good plugs and using cement helps.
I've put three in before.
I'll plug anything but I like the pickup tires patched when they can be.

I keep a plug kit in every vehicle I own and in the shop. For bigger punctures break the tire down and use a plug patch.

yep on the flat wagons for tobacco my record is 6 flats in one day. If they can be for sure plug it. A lot of work time can be saved.

I have used a product called liquid tube from NAPA. It is a little expensive but I have had excellent results. Put some in my UTV tires and front tractor tires. Have not had to add air since and on the tractor you can see the thorns in the rubber. Also put some in my friends zero turn front tires that were going flat and it fixed them as well. Haven't tried it in on road tires but it is supposed to work in them. I am concerned it will be out of balance.

I use a liquid stop leak in road tires and don't have a problem with balance. The stuff oats the entire inside of the tire. But the tire shop hates it if they have to dismount the tire and patch/boot it.

I may try it on my pickup soon. You are right about the tire shops they don't usually like sealants but this stuff is supposed to wash off with just water. I like it so far. I saw it under a different brand name at the farm machinery show in Louisville and just wanted to give it a try.