Do you guys have these hay guys in your area too

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
Do you guys see these hay sellers in your area too. There are listings all the time for Bermuda hay, net wrapped, sprayed, fertilized, no weeds for $25. There is no way on planet earth that a guy can sell hay for that and spray, net wrap AND fertilize. With fertilizer prices what they are now you have almost that in the hay. good bermuda grass that is sprayed adn fertilized, fuel, labor plus equip cost alot more than that. I wonder if they are doing the bait and switch. You call on the good hay, then they tell you they are sold out but have more for that price from another feild. Or they arent spraying or fertilizing. I just dont see how this adds up with record fuel and fertilizer prices

plbcattle":2im75yww said:
Do you guys see these hay sellers in your area too. There are listings all the time for Bermuda hay, net wrapped, sprayed, fertilized, no weeds for $25. There is no way on planet earth that a guy can sell hay for that and spray, net wrap AND fertilize. With fertilizer prices what they are now you have almost that in the hay. good bermuda grass that is sprayed adn fertilized, fuel, labor plus equip cost alot more than that. I wonder if they are doing the bait and switch. You call on the good hay, then they tell you they are sold out but have more for that price from another feild. Or they arent spraying or fertilizing. I just dont see how this adds up with record fuel and fertilizer prices

If I could buy hay like that the bailer would never come out of the barn, I can't roll my own that cheap.

Know a few like that. Even know one that sprayed is hay with green dye to make it look perdy but even he wanted more than that for it.

Yeah we have a few of them around here but the bales sell for about $30-$35

plbcattle":3r84c1d1 said:
plb I've seen a couple of adds very simliar and you're probably right about the quality or lack thereof. Wonder if they'd sell it based on a good "test" from a reputable lab? Course their definition of spraying and fertilizing may be pretty vague". ;-)

heck i sell unfert hay in the field for $30 to $35.but the hay thats sold is the extra hay we have.i read the hay for sale adds every week.an if i look close i can figure out how good the hay is by the price.very few people round here are wasting their money ferting the hay fields.an they sure arnt spraying them for weeds

These people have a non-business mentality. They tell everyone they can do it that cheap because their equipment is paid for. I don't believe they even pay themselves for their labor. When they have to buy new equipment they may wake up. What really makes it bad is when a pro prices his services out to make a legitimate profit people accuse him of ripping them off because of the one guy with no brains.

I think there are people like this in all areas. Not just in the hay business either.

The Federal Trade Commission calls this "bait and switch". Very illegal, but it goes on.

I had a fellow tell me that the market price for hay in my area was $25.00 based upon one of these types and that's all he was going to pay for mine. I believe my reply to him was:

I'll pile it up and burn it first.... :mrgreen:

I haven't run into people offering to sell us hay at " below cost" prices. However, since we've been buying hay, we've had more than one supplier mis-represent his product. As a result, we have changed suppliers several times.

Some of reasons we have changed suppliers:
  • 1. Misrepresented the quality of hay (weeds, grasburs, trash)
    2. Did not fertilize as he represented (we hay tested to verify after it was delivered)
    3. Jacked up price from "usual prices" to "Feed Store Prices" (we were about to run out of hay)
    4. Refused to give us an invoice for hay he sold (no paper trail except our cancelled check)
    5. Hay turned out with too much mold in it
    6. Hay guy "heard" that we had money and needed hay badly (raised prices)
    7. Hay turned out too stemy (late cutting)...had too much waste

Our solution:

Stopped buying from the guy(s) that screwed us. Started having hay trucked in from 150 to 300 miles away at LESS COST, including Delivery! We even got a semi-load of hay from CANADA in 2007 that was better and didn't cost more than our LOCAL guy was charging.

Go figure...

As they say in construction: "You make your profit when you buy your materials"...

Bottom line: We have NO loyalty to any hay supplier (local or out of area)! Screw us and you just shot yourself in the foot! We feed hay 24/7/365 and buy too much to pay a "premium" for bad hay...

grannysoo":26nl1pnx said:
I think there are people like this in all areas. Not just in the hay business either.

The Federal Trade Commission calls this "bait and switch". Very illegal, but it goes on.

I had a fellow tell me that the market price for hay in my area was $25.00 based upon one of these types and that's all he was going to pay for mine. I believe my reply to him was:

I'll pile it up and burn it first.... :mrgreen:

Yeah I've had the same situation from the other side of the coin... A guy come asked me to come bale his place. Bottomland with a lot of weeds and stuff, older grass, etc. would be better off brush hogging it but he wants something to show for it besides a check paid for shredding. SO I look his place over, and tell him I get $15/roll to cut/rake/bale and leave it on the field. He starts muttering that he saw some guy in the paper selling fertilized Jiggs hay delivered for $25 a bale.

I asked him why he was wasting my time then-- he better call the guy and buy the hay, because that's a h3ll of a deal... But that's what it costs me to cut/rake/bale so I'll see ya later...

He paid me to come cut/rake/bale anyway... :) LOL:) That sword cuts both ways... :)

OL JR :)

We have Chicken houses that supply all the free fertilizer we want with extra to sell on the side, and every year i sell my neighbor about 100 bales of what we have extra @ around $18-$20 per bale... I have all my own equipment and no one helps bale but my brother and I......... I know these are rare circumstances but it is not impossible to get good hay at a cheap price.... We make much more money off the fertilizer @ $40 per truck load....LOL

Just Thinking out loud!

SouthrnBlacks":ejmk9irt said:
We have Chicken houses that supply all the free fertilizer we want with extra to sell on the side, and every year i sell my neighbor about 100 bales of what we have extra @ around $18-$20 per bale... I have all my own equipment and no one helps bale but my brother and I......... I know these are rare circumstances but it is not impossible to get good hay at a cheap price.... We make much more money off the fertilizer @ $40 per truck load....LOL

Just Thinking out loud!

Ah-Ha. If you get $40 for a truckload for chicken litter and you use a load on your meadow, that load just cost you $40 in lost revenue so it isn't exactly free. It may offset the expense of buying fertilizer but it still has a value. And if you don't figure equipment and overhead cost into each and every bale because you do the work yourself and own the equipment you are fooling yourself again. Come time to replace that equipment you will realize the true value of that free chicken litter and how expensive (stupid) it is to subsidize one income at the expense of another. Your time and money do have a value. By the way, I do not have a problem with selling hay at a discount. A helpful neighbor or someone in need that has had a bit of bad luck might be a good reason to drop the price a bit.

Latest posts