Do you get the same amount of milk each time you milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
I am milking our jersey cow right now and she has her heifer calf on her. I get anywhere from 1-2 gallon to a gallon and half milking. I think it depends what her baby is up to for the amount I get. If the calf is goes to sleep when I bring them in or if she stays outside and is harassing the dogs it changes the amount of milk she gives. She also didn't clean properly but we think it is almost taken care of from boluses, estromate and drugs. Her milk went down for a couple days but is picking back up again. What do you usually get? The same amount each time. She is getting back into the swing of things cause I am letting my daughter milk out one quarter as well. I know that the calf is eating more each day as well. :lol:

Weghit is a better value for juding milk then gallons. Normally the cows will milk heavier in the am then in the pm, but the weight will vary a little from milking to milking.

do you let her calf stay with her 24/7 or let the calf stay with her so much twice a day.if you let the calf stay with her.your going to get varing amounts of milk from 1 milking to the other.an she could also be holding milk up for her calf.the older the calf gets the more itll drink.

We have Jerseys too. It is best if you separate the cow and calf. Keep the calf in a pen or stall.
Bring the cow in to milk. Milk what you need and then turn the calf in with her to milk her out.
Do this morning and evening.
If you need to go somewhere and can't milk, turn the calf out with her. Then bring them both in the next milking and separate them again.

You will reach a point that if you don't separate them, you won't get any milk. And sometimes the cows get notions and won't come in, even to eat.

chippie":1859hq4n said:
We have Jerseys too. It is best if you separate the cow and calf. Keep the calf in a pen or stall.
Bring the cow in to milk. Milk what you need and then turn the calf in with her to milk her out.
Do this morning and evening.
If you need to go somewhere and can't milk, turn the calf out with her. Then bring them both in the next milking and separate them again.

You will reach a point that if you don't separate them, you won't get any milk. And sometimes the cows get notions and won't come in, even to eat.

The only reason I am milking her is because I don't have an extra calf to put on her yet. Calving season is just starting here. I don't have a good place to put the calf right now and the amount of milk doesn't matter a ton as long as she keeps having enough for another one. She always comes in she meets me at the gate every time.

Well you can expect to get the same amount every time you milk if you leave the calf on 24/7.
I don't know your experience with dairy cattle, but if you are going to use her as a nurse cow, be sure to feed her well, preferable a feed without urea. If you don't feed the cow, she will use herself up trying to feed the calves. You really can't treat a dairy cow like a beef cow and expect her to last.

chippie":1bual5ud said:
Well you can expect to get the same amount every time you milk if you leave the calf on 24/7.
I don't know your experience with dairy cattle, but if you are going to use her as a nurse cow, be sure to feed her well, preferable a feed without urea. If you don't feed the cow, she will use herself up trying to feed the calves. You really can't treat a dairy cow like a beef cow and expect her to last.

She is well fed believe me. She is fed dairy ration, alf pellets and good quailty hay and soon to be lots of pasture. I don't know much about urea but I don't think we have anything with that in it. :lol:

Hunny Do Ranch":2uvutjvd said:
chippie":2uvutjvd said:

She is well fed believe me. She is fed dairy ration, alf pellets and good quailty hay and soon to be lots of pasture. I don't know much about urea but I don't think we have anything with that in it. :lol:

I'd forget about the alfalfa pellets and bump up her grain ration by half the weight of the alfalfa. Most alfalfa that is pelletized is low grade to begin with. Urea won't hurt her either.

a jersey milking cow needs 15 to 20 lbs of grain a day.an yes i said 20lbs.dont let them fool you.they can eat as much as a holstein.

Latest posts