Do you do this?

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Now we know I'm paranoid----but---when/if someone knocks on the door at night,the tv is turned off and all inside lights are out before I open that door! the porch light in my old house was set to be in their eyes. Not here,but it's turned on. Now if they've called,that's another matter,the teacups are out and there may be cookies. So-how do you answer an unexpected knock at night?

When the driveway alarm goes off i am outside with a gun and a flashlite. Drive way is 3 tents of a mile long. Don't get many nite viste.

I can't say I've ever had one at a weird hour of the night. Did have a visitor once about 3:00 a.m and my dog alerted me. That fella got a bullet right above his head and boy you should have seen him run. I think I broke him of breaking into houses.

see,I was alone with 3 little kids----and a big German Shepard--I did have one night visitor,which started the whole answer the door from inside a dark house thing..

The property next to ours used to be THE place for teenagers to go 4-wheeling in 2-wheel drive pickups and get stuck; make out to the radio and run their battery dead; and all that stuff that young people do. We even considered a sign in the yard: PHONE $5, TOW $50. We got knocks on the door at all hours, all the time. You knew they were desperate because they came past the dogs. Not the case now, a suicide that occurred over there and a different property owner who enforces his No Trespassing signs have made it unpopular. But during those years, we didn't think much of the dogs going off in the middle of the night and a knock at the door when all the lights were out.

If it happened now, there would be a lot more caution taken. Probably a weapon in hand before going to the door.

In the city I haven't got a dog so it's a little scary. I'm a peek-through-the-window person lol. Thankfully there's normally a few people in the house at night so there's plenty of people. I'd still like to have a dog. My cat's not so good at barking...

Had a donkey get out about two in the morning, I guess, and a person knocked on our door to let us know. Had a guy run out of gas abour four once and he came to the house. Steve took him to a gas station. He was a German sounding fellow. Haven't had anyone come over late in a long time.

Soooo I guess I'm not that nutty :) Hardest thing to get used to here is the motion sensor lights keep going on and off-had to black out the bedroom..One time it was a possum on the porch,usually a stray/feral cat.
Pretty quiet here.

the dog will usually raise the devil day or nite if some1 comes up that dont belong.an if its late at nite an some1 knocks on the door.we usually knows its the grandkids.because people know not to come to the house late at nite.as for pulling people out thats stuck.say ill gladly pull you out.but i just might ripp your bumper off doing it.the word speads an you dont get asked to pull no 1 out.if they are stuck that means they are somewhere they dont belong.

Jogeephus":1q5gq1av said:
I can't say I've ever had one at a weird hour of the night. Did have a visitor once about 3:00 a.m and my dog alerted me. That fella got a bullet right above his head and boy you should have seen him run. I think I broke him of breaking into houses.
hope so but ,, you might have saved someone else heartache if you had lowered your barrel :cowboy:

Lammie":3r6k9hta said:
Had a donkey get out about two in the morning, I guess, and a person knocked on our door to let us know. Had a guy run out of gas abour four once and he came to the house. Steve took him to a gas station. He was a German sounding fellow. Haven't had anyone come over late in a long time.
those germans sound like hatchett totin' psychoes just talking , i would have been uneasy around him
:lol:

Driveway is a quater of a mile long with a cattle gate and lock, keep it locked 90% of the time, almost always at night, if someone comes up my driveway and I know it was locked, I'm not going to ask many questions, you've got one try to let me know who you are before I start my shooting, I've let people know thats what going to happen, since building my house 4 1/2 years ago, havent gotten any late night visitors. Most people around here know to call before coming over and I will go open gate.

I answer the door with either my 40 cal. or AK or both. But I have a way to see who is at my door without opening it first and it ain't a peep hole.

If they knock on the door late and I don't know them, I assume they need the police and call them before I ever go to the door. Then I slip out the back with the .45 and talk to them from across the fence with my Maglite in their eyes. They can't even see to walk down the steps off the porch, but I can see them clearly.

Latest posts