do you breed heifers based on weight or age?

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H fanatic":2m5rify1 said:
We go by size adn age and kinda guess the weight. The weight doesn't amtter as much as the size does it?

Gee, I thought you asked?

Don't want our opinions? GO AWAY. We don't need your 30 a day posts filled with incorrect information and jabber anyhow.
Grow up a little, or just go pout in your corner for a couple days.

4-H fanatic":2owjtqbf said:
I dont post 30 times a day so you jsut .......................

So you don't deny the incorrect jabber? I notice when someone gets you in a corner you have nothing to back up your comments with, so you get mad then go pout...Like you are doing now.

Back to the point - beef and dairy producers need to make a profit. It has been long proven that you need to get a BOVINE into production as soon as possible - that has been setting a goal for calving at 24 months. Saving money by feeding less/lower quality feed to raise heifers has been proven to COST MORE than feeding lots of good quality feed & growing them out properly to calve at 24 months old. There is some research now on calving at 20 months - but I believe they are calving oK but having trouble on next gestation.

Calves that are not growing adequately (proper size to breed at same age as contemporaries) is a cull - period. Cannot afford to keep those genetics - sold as a feeder - not a breeder. Well, I say period - there are ALWAYS extenuating circumstances - as a small breeder, you can fudge - like set of twin heifers raised on own dam. Can keep over for fall calving instead of spring.

Latest posts