do you breed heifers based on weight or age?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Idle curiosity...not something I have to deal with for awhile yet.

I've got two heifers here that, at least in theory, could be big enough weight-wise to breed early next year. One would be a yearling, other one eight months. That'd have 'em calving much earlier than 2 years. Like I said, in theory, with the right gain (2-3lbs/day), they could be big enough.

:?:

If they are old enough but not big enough they get culled here. I breed all mine to calve right at or slightly before 2. Have several late april yearlings that are getting cidrs wednesday morning. If they are serviced on the 5th they will have mid march calves at 11 months old. My march yearlings were serviced to calve in january.

Have several late april yearlings that are getting cidrs wednesday morning. If they are serviced on the 5th they will have mid march calves at 11 months old. My march yearlings were serviced to calve in january.
I'm sure you didn't mean calve at 11 months old - they'll be about 22.5 months old.

Anyway, just because they are big enough doesn't mean they should be bred. I would not want a heifer younger than 21 months old calving. I (like CHB) will take my late calvers & bump them up to calve at 21-23 months old, so that they are calving at the biginning our my calving season.

If they are old enough and not big enough, they are culls - unless there are special circumstances.

OK. That answers my question a little. =)

To explain - One of these heifers is a holstein, she's 4 months now and approx. 350lbs. If I figured I wanted her bred at 750lbs, that's another 400lbs...at 2lbs/day that's 200 days or about 7 months. Puts her at 11 months of age and the right weight to breed based on most dairy heifer replacement charts.

The other heifer is an angus cross, 3 weeks now...rough guesstimate puts her around 100lbs, maybe a little more. Breed her at 700lbs, that's +600lbs from where she is now...3lbs/day is 200 days from now. So she could be 8 months of age, and theoretically, at the right weight to breed.

As I said...at least in theory this could work. :lol: How's this sound to the rest of you?

facts are this from birth to breeding a heifer calf will have to gain 2lbs a day from birth to 13 months old on accerated feeding program but what most ppl will see is 1.8lbs a day gain for 13months wicj make them calve at 22 to 26 months of age scott

milkmaid,

Size is to be considered....but age at delivery I think should be the more controlling factor. Anything below 21-23 months at time of delivery may be asking for trouble. This may be somewhat modified if the breeding bull has low BW..EPD.

Mom has got to have time to develop the tools regardless of the size...age generally determines development.

We try to breed between the 13 and 15 months. If she is not growing to meet the normal size for that age she is culled long before that time frame. We look at their size at weaning.... CRITICALLY.....and project size from that time frame...for decision to keep or cull.

I dont get it why do you cull them if they're old enough but not big enough can't you wait til they grow an then breed them to calve when they are older :?: :help: :?:

dont get it why do you cull them if they're old enough but not big enough can't you wait til they grow an then breed them to calve when they are older

Just a guess for you -

1) if they're not gaining right (unless there's a good reason, ie sickness) then you wouldn't want them to pass that trait on to their calves
2) if you're putting the feed and $$$ into them and they're not on track to calve at the appointed time they aren't paying for themselves. And, if they won't pay for themself they aren't worth keeping around.

I guess that makes sence. Its different for dairy then bef then we have a 3 1/2 year old first time heifer that just calved last week.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2djv92q3 said:
Have several late april yearlings that are getting cidrs wednesday morning. If they are serviced on the 5th they will have mid march calves at 11 months old. My march yearlings were serviced to calve in january.
I'm sure you didn't mean calve at 11 months old - they'll be about 22.5 months old.

Your right Jeanne, nother one of those typos Beefy hates. :oops:

4-H fanatic":3iw5m7v4 said:
I guess that makes sence. Its different for dairy then bef then we have a 3 1/2 year old first time heifer that just calved last week.

So, you lost what, 12-18 months of production on that heifer (have no idea what the dry period is for a dairy cow) because you waited to breed her and have her calve as a 3 1/2 year old? Seems to me like dairy farmers would be just as inclined as beef breeders to breed to calve at around 24 mos to get the milk production going and gain the subsequent income from it.

TR- I think a lot of it depends on the individual dairy...I've seen some that keep really nice records and all calves are ear-tagged with the date of birth...some with sire and dam's name/number as well. There I'm sure they'd be pushing the heifers to calve at 2 years because they can see DOB and they'd be thinking of cost to raise/maintain that animal for the extra time if she isn't on track to calve at 2.
Then there's some dairies - say the smaller ones - that I've seen emotional attachment to various animals appears to play a large part in who stays and who goes. Some stay longer than they should, even when they're open.
Typical dry period for a dairy cow is 45-60 days...sometimes it accidently runs more or less, esp if the breeding date wasn't known, ie natural service. For the dairies that do AI a heavy milking cow might deliberately be left open longer than usual - say well over 12 months between calves - because there's no sense in being forced to dry them off when they're still milking good.

4-H fanatic":3mibxx0o said:
I dont get it why do you cull them if they're old enough but not big enough can't you wait til they grow an then breed them to calve when they are older :?: :help: :?:

Because in my perfect little piece of this world if they are not big enough at the SAME time they are old enough then they lack performance. And a lack of performance in my book is a good reason to cull.

Understand yet?

Sure maybe its the fact that im looking at it from a dairy producers point of veiw. size vs age isnt really that important to me aslong as they're big enuf and not too young.

4-H fanatic":3bczhuzi said:
============
4H,
certherford,

Has it.

Put another way one could say.....If you wish to invest more than normal time....perhaps so. But, what does the extra time buy you and doesn't that reflect genetics...that is questionable for a good herd?

4-H fanatic":6g3v8yq6 said:
Sure maybe its the fact that im looking at it from a dairy producers point of veiw. size vs age isnt really that important to me aslong as they're big enuf and not too young.
====
4H,

Why do you distingush between a milk cow and a beef cow? Isn't it important to the bottom line for a milk cow to come on line as soon as possible..for production? I happen to be a former holstein/gurnsey/jersey milk herd man of several years ago. I don't think the performance needs have changed..have they?

Also, if one wishes to take a chance on a young/big heifer and breed her early. ....do it. But, one can expect problems.

I will repeat..... size does not necessarily reflect a heifer's readiness to breed at an earlier than recommended age. Aren't you saying the same thing with..."size vs age isnt really that important to me aslong as they're big enuf and not too young".....? I would agree with you...if they are olde enough and big enough...breed em.

Latest posts