Help Support CattleToday:

Do you agree or disagree with the decision to deny the automakers bailout

• Disagree

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • agree

Votes: 36 76.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
did vote, not that it will make a difference...i dont like to talk about my job at a GM dealership. but dont know what effect it will have on mine

My understanding is that the current debate on the issue is at a stalemate. I don't think it's over quite yet. They do need to shut it down IMO or everyone will be coming out of the woodwork for a free ride.

alacattleman":3gxg0p5l said:
did vote, not that it will make a difference...i dont like to talk about my job at a GM dealership. but dont know what effect it will have on mine
I didn't mean any disrespect and hope all goes well for you and your fellow employees, the one I have a prob with is the UAW
I am sure your wages are on par of where you are living but the UAW has got the workers so over paid and don't want to sacrifice to help the problem out

I have seen this with other unions and have been on both sides as a business owner and as a union member
when I was in business for myself as a union company I could bid jobs at less than pay scale and the union would agree to it, the employees didn't have to accept but I only had one employee in 10 yrs that refused to work for less than scale and that was mostly that he didn't need to work and he knew work was slow so he let younger guys with families work instead of him
That is the only way we had any work for about 3 yrs was the guys accepting pay cuts to work instead of setting at home and making nothing

And yes I made less profit also

Angus Cowman":ppmnxb4a said:
alacattleman":ppmnxb4a said:
I didn't mean any disrespect and hope all goes well for you and your fellow employees, the one I have a prob with is the UAW
I am sure your wages are on par of where you are living but the UAW has got the workers so over paid and don't want to sacrifice to help the problem out
I have seen this with other unions and have been on both sides as a business owner and as a union member
when I was in business for myself as a union company I could bid jobs at less than pay scale and the union would agree to it, the employees didn't have to accept but I only had one employee in 10 yrs that refused to work for less than scale and that was mostly that he didn't need to work and he knew work was slow so he let younger guys with families work instead of him
That is the only way we had any work for about 3 yrs was the guys accepting pay cuts to work instead of setting at home and making nothing

And yes I made less profit also
yep they are overpaid..... and i resent the hell out of it, especially when... cust come in red ass'd over mistakes they made...i try too live by the 3- B's....didnt build it, didnt buy it, and dam sure didnt break it

I agree, but I hate that so many good people will be hurt .People that are out of work are not as likely to buy beef, so in the end it will hurt us all . I've never seen a case where a neighbor's bad luck benefited me .

Larry

I'm not sure, but I would sure like $70.00/hr for my time and effort. ;-)

TexasBred":3qc1mlrm said:
People don't have to get hurt. Chapter 11 isn't the end of the world. People will just have to get their $hit together and start "managing" their businesses from top to bottom. It might actually be good not only for the automakers but for all the suppliers as well.

I guess I just don't understand how it works, I thought bankruptcy meant somebody wasn't gonna get their money .If everybody is gonna get paid and everybody keeps their job and the retired people continue to get their pension (after all that was the agreement), then I don't reckon people will get hurt . Sounds like this chapter 11 is the way to go .

Larry

It's not over and it's not going away. You can bet that someone is going to give them the money. If congress doesn't, then W will.

Be patient and watch. The fat lady has not even started warming up on this one.

There is little talk like this regarding the bailout of the automakers.. Sooner or later, the chickens are going to come home to roost..

Senator DeMint said:

"If you look at where we're going, we're not on a sustainable course as a country," DeMint said. "Frankly, General Motors is in a better financial situation than we are as a country. The only difference is we can print money. But as other countries around the world lose confidence in the value of a dollar – that's going to come home very shortly."

-----------------------------------------------------

No one wants to hear that... ..it is an inconvenient truth...

:?

L.A.":23h8gtqa said:

I listened to a seemingly knowledgeable person on public radio that said the workers only made about $2.50/hour more than their counterparts Toyota and Honda. Said the difference in american companies is that they have so many retirees since they have been in business for nearly a century. This is where the $70/hr figure comes from. He said Toyota and Honda will have the same problem in about 20 years.

So as I see it, if they go bankrupt, many people will no longer draw a pension from the company and have to make do with social security and their own investments and savings. Is this fair? Probably not but I personally don't see why I should pay for their pension when I myself don't get one. Personally, I'd like to be able to draw the same pension as a lawmaker and would like to be able to get the same health insurance they do but I'm afraid this ain't going to happen since these people work for me. Or is it the other way around?

Jogeephus":2gzco53q said:
L.A.":2gzco53q said:

I listened to a seemingly knowledgeable person on public radio that said the workers only made about $2.50/hour more than their counterparts Toyota and Honda. Said the difference in american companies is that they have so many retirees since they have been in business for nearly a century. This is where the $70/hr figure comes from. He said Toyota and Honda will have the same problem in about 20 years.

I really don't know--have Toyota and Honda made the same commitments regarding pensions and health care?

I've heard that GM is the largest purchaser of health care in the country (after the govt., I imagine). So, health care costs are a big part of this problem.

Obama has promised us all the same quality of health care Congress gets. Grab your wallet, boys.

Jogeephus":1y3yfpaj said:
So as I see it, if they go bankrupt, many people will no longer draw a pension from the company and have to make do with social security and their own investments and savings.

Like almost every other person in this country that has worked their hiney off till they reached retirement age or longer.

I agree, and I think they all need to take a huge wage cut, from the top on down. It costs Ford and GM about $70 per hour per worker, it cost Honda and Toyota about $45 per hour per worker. Those US companies are way top heavy, it's no surprise they are looking at bankruptsey. Could be the best thing for them though, they could renegotiate all the payroll and benefits if they do.

Latest posts