Do you agree? Is AG one of the most useless professions?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a relative that just spent a fortune to get an Art degree..................now that's usless!

As far as art and ag to each his own. As for me it will be ag. I'm too old to get a degree but I'm still learning in the school of hard knocks. Maybe I need a class in appreciating some of the art.

3waycross":2e7ukxz5 said:
I have a relative that just spent a fortune to get an Art degree..................now that's usless!
AG does not stand for art. It stands for Attorney General which is in the legal profession.
I don't know if it is useless or not, but I have questions as to its value.

Like you , I have not watched the video either. Would rather spend my video time watching John Wayne.

Only if americans are prepared to go back to living like cavemen! The sad part is that the guy who wrote the original article isn't even smart enough to know that if it were not for agriculture there would be no paper to print his useless article on! Many don't realize that Ag goes alot farther than just food, in one way or another it is part of everyones daily life!

Kathie in Thorp":3u6pgehp said:
3waycross":3u6pgehp said:
I hope you saw the video before you said that, 3-way. :)

every second. that's why I posted........to date 3 years after ART school she is generating about $300 a yr in revenue from that degree......

3waycross":2ilokxtd said:
Kathie in Thorp":2ilokxtd said:
3waycross":2ilokxtd said:
I hope you saw the video before you said that, 3-way. :)

every second. that's why I posted........to date 3 years after ART school she is generating about $300 a yr in revenue from that degree......
I know guys that make more than that writing poetry on Shythouse walls. :lol2:

I haven't watched the u tube video but have been reading about this topic for the past three weeks. Ag educators are up in arms about it to an extent. Anyone can say anyone else is worthless, if a guy is a poor repairman is it a poor career choice? In the hard copy I read about this title, they specifically talk about two careers in ag. Agriculture alone spans over 200 career options. Is ag worthless because I am trying to farm and can't support myself from my own farm? I am a first generation farmer buying everything starting from scratch as my great grandfather lost his farm due to hog cholera in the '20-30's. My paternal grandfather owned his own milk truck and was a herdsman for a doctor. I take this type of research with a grain of salt.

While the young man in the video was obviously offended by the article and felt compelled to make this impassioned speech in rebuttal, I felt it necessary to read the offending article to see if the intent of the author really was to impune agriculture as a profession.

so, here's the article http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_useless_degrees.htm

What I took from the article is this:
1. The author doesn't have the slightest idea why anyone would want to work in ag in the 1st place. He's a city boy and wants to stay that way. While his tone was condescending toward ag, it wasn't any more so than toward theatre majors. He seems to think being flippant is his niche.
2. He didn't say that ag is a useless profession. He said that the degree is useless because employers anticipate there will be a net loss of jobs in this field.
3. The survey of employers wanting to hire someone with an ag degree is somewhat useless in itself, (as are the statistics of most studies) since it does not encompass the self employed. It would be interesting to survey current ag majors to find out their employment goals after graduation. If their hope is to work for someone else, then the statistics presented by the author may be useful. If their intent is to take over their family farm, start their own, or in some other way work for themselves, then it is the authors information that is useless.

Ryder":p8bbg3co said:
3waycross":p8bbg3co said:
AG does not stand for art. It stands for Attorney General which is in the legal profession.
I don't know if it is useless or not, but I have questions as to its value.

Like you , I have not watched the video either. Would rather spend my video time watching John Wayne.
AG stands for agriculture, in talkin curriculum. I don't think there is a class to become an "A.G." :)

In regard to article, my daughter who does have a degree in Agriculture and a job, told me that the author was ripped to pieces by people with an agriculture related degrees.

The author is a maroon.

People that are upset over the atricle should take a deep breath and read it. The auther wasn't ripping on people in agriculture; just stating that fact that there is projected to be a decrease in the number of jobs that require an Ag. degree, and getting said degree may end up being "useless" since you won't be able to land a job with it.

chippie":3gd9udu0 said:
In regard to article, my daughter who does have a degree in Agriculture and a job, told me that the author was ripped to pieces by people with an agriculture related degrees.

The author is a maroon.

The author is "purple"?

Latest posts