Do one week old calves cry for mamma?

Help Support CattleToday:

SouthFla

Reaction score
We're thinking about purchasing a one week old Holstein bull from a local dairy farm.

My concern is for the neighbors if the little guy bawls too much at night.

Do one week olds walk the fence and bleat like say a recently removed from momma three (3) or four (4) month old calf would?

How long does it normally take for a calf that misses momma to adjust?

I would think that a calf that has been with momma for months versus one week would be more likely to bawl for a longer period.

You'll be fine. Holsteins typically don't stay with mama. They are removed shortly after birth. They have no connection with a mama cow. They're fun to raise. Just don't plan on making a huge profit if any.

the calf should be fine.they dont bawl for momma that much if any.they mostly just bawl when they know its time for their bottle.

Get 2. They'll keep each other company and will do a lot better.

southfla, i just got some holsteins a while ago for the first time. they only make noise when you come out the door in the morning to feed them the bottles and at night when i get home from work ( again because they know it is feeding time) other than that real quiet. mine are in a barn i dont know how much room you should give them as far a walking the fence line, but there are some real knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum so feel free to ask away with dumb questions. i always do!!!!

I have a neighbor that has 1200 to 1500 bottle calves at any one time. He keeps them in individual calf hutches to control disease spread. The hutch is a 16' hog panel folded in the shape of a horseshoe with a 4' piece of corrugated tin across the end and across the top for a little cover. He moves the hutches around on his land to distribute manure and control disease. He sure has a lot of grass on his place. Getting back on topic. His calves are quiet until time to feed then you can imagine. He has quite a system to feed that many calves in a timely manner.

Thanks all for the replies.

Worry about the crying was the only thing holding me back.

I think I'll get two now.

I have two girls who both want one.

I'm trying to figure a way to get them out there Christmas eve night.

Thanks again.

thats easy have the guy deliver or go get them when the kids are gone.an when they get home take them out an show them the calves.

they gonna end up like the little rabbits and ducks people buy at easter..the christmas cow will grow up ya know...and will soon become a real pta to bottle feed when the weather sucks and ya got other things to do

they gonna end up like the little rabbits and ducks people buy at easter..the christmas cow will grow up ya know...and will soon become a real pta to bottle feed when the weather sucks and ya got other things to do

They're going to end up in the freezer. ;-)

Two is a good idea, but the first few days they will likely bawl just cus of the change of scenery etc. they will settle down, cattle are herd animals and should be able to see at least one other one around.

Watch your input costs, as they are not really profit makers if anyone intends to sell them. I would def. recommend the one thing you do not skimp on is the milk replacer, buy the best you can, with a 20/20 formulation, even for warmer parts of florida, as calves are not that good at converting vegetable proteins for a number of weeks after birth. Cheaper milk replacers contain these as the main source of protein and fats.

The only real question is, will you really be able to kill them when it's time? :cboy: