Do ladies drive tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
By "field work" I mean plow, disc, drag etc ..... things that require operating a tractor in a field while performing a task. While talking to a friend from the south, I was informed that, to the best of their knowledge, ladies in the south do not do field work or operate machinery. So I am asking ~ Do ladies in the south drive tractors and do field work? This is not a judgment call by any means, ladies everywhere work hard I am sure. I am wondering at the cultural differences.

Darn right we do!! Backhoes too! Shred pastures,chain trees ,disc,plow and bale hay.. Drive an ox team if that's what it takes to get the job done.. Aint no dainty southern bells here until it's time for a formal party,and then you'd never dream they lifted anything heavyer than a teacup..

Well, I am not in the south but many wives and daughters do field work here. I do some, but really really dislike the hills and they scare me, so I purposely have not learned how to use the new tractor for that specific reason. :oops:

I did disc and harrow the barley field at the dairy all the time, it was level ground and I loved driving the Fendt.

I don't know :???: Back in the days of the little squares. Boss Lady rode the wagon stacking while I drove the tractor. :cowboy:

Just kidding. She cut, raked, drove the tractor and skid steer a lot. I actually rode the wagon. :oops: :oops:

Honestly though, my next door neighbor just across the road had his wife ride the wagon. Really not kidding.

Well Angrie here is my take on it if a "lady is too good to work beside me then she isn't worth 2 cents and I sure wouldn't have her around

Here is my answer to your question
My momma milked cows,mowed raked and baled hay, disced fields and has picked cotton and all of the other numerous jobs it takes to run a farm
My wife runs tractors and probably does more of the discing and planting than I do (we aren't a row crop farm) but we plant several acres of foodplots and also plant rye and haybeans for hay, she and I cut, rake and bale around 2500 round bales of hay a yr and 99% of the time she runs the tractor that pulls the feed wagon and feeds all of the calves and she does 70% of the brushogging and spraying

SO IMO yes ladies do drive tractors because anyone that said these 2 women weren't ladies would be picking themselves up off of the ground
AC

dun":185oswmy said:
Ladies or women? The aren;t necesarrily the same thing
Ladies. Your wives, your daughters, your mommas, yourself.

Upnort people ~ I already know we do field work. I live here. :lol2: This seemed to me to be a cultural difference. Sometimes I think the fact that we have to cram more work into a shorter period of time (due to the long winters, short growing season) that we work without questioning or being questioned. Everybody works because everybody has to. See? There is only so much time. But down south is different I am thinking. I was just wondering how different.

I guess it depends who the woman is. All based on the individual, some men can't even do it worth a darn. But in general Id say no.
I know my mom said when she was growing up they worked in the house the boys worked outside (talking about this yesterday actually). She's upper 40s in age so you can figure how long ago that was. To this day she can't drive a standard (how the conversation yesterday began) let alone a tractor. My grandmothers on both sides of the family also do no farm work. Neither do my sisters.

I don't think it's so much a regional thing as an individual situation. Some women are good at it, some could do it but have no interest, while others have no business on one and would be dangerous.

Having grown up in the north, but now living in the south, I have to agree that their are some "cultural" differences! There are a lot of things I did up north without thinking twice about, but get some odd looks for doing the same down here. Changing a tire is one that comes to mind! And absolutely I drive the tractor. I bet I have more hours on it than my husband does! I can also operate the dozer and the excavator, and drive the semi. I'm not so handy with the vacuum cleaner however.. :cowboy:

Angus Cowman":1ddxkail said:
Well Angrie here is my take on it if a "lady is too good to work beside me then she isn't worth 2 cents and I sure wouldn't have her around

My momma milked cows,mowed raked and baled hay, disced fields and has picked cotton and all of the other numerous jobs it takes to run a farm
My wife runs tractors and probably does more of the discing and planting than I do (we aren't a row crop farm) but we plant several acres of foodplots and also plant rye and haybeans for hay, she and I cut, rake and bale around 2500 round bales of hay a yr and 99% of the time she runs the tractor that pulls the feed wagon and feeds all of the calves and she does 70% of the brushogging and spraying

SO IMO yes ladies do drive tractors because anyone that said these 2 women weren't ladies would be picking themselves up off of the ground
AC

You gotta remember you're talking about Missouri. When we first moved here I used to ask people if this was the south, the midwest or north. People from north of the river about split evenly between midwest and north. The folks from south of the river usually said "it's none of those, it's MISSOURI"

Don't know if folks in other parts of the country consider VA being southern or northern, but I sure consider it the South. My wife does the tedding and raking along with some other tractor chores, even drove a semi truck load of hay around the field last week while I finished loading it. She was hinting the other day why I haven't put her on the discbine, but after the number she did on my rake last week I'm not so sure about that...

I never gave it much thought until now,but the female tractor drivers in this part of Oklahoma are mostly transplants from the north.

dun":3hagpt83 said:
Angus Cowman":3hagpt83 said:

AC

You gotta remember you're talking about Missouri. When we first moved here I used to ask people if this was the south, the midwest or north. People from north of the river about split evenly between midwest and north. The folks from south of the river usually said "it's none of those, it's MISSOURI"

The same here, I think the southern part of Ohio identifies more with the South. The county I live in voted 65% for John McCain, very conservative, not so as you travel north. All that being said the equipment here has become so large you just don't see any women operators, you even see men that somebody has to get the equipment to the field and get it unfolded and ready to go. I think 40 years ago we saw more women doing field work and I think the size of the equipment has a lot to do with that.

Larry

I am in the south,but very few women help out in the fields. I am married to a twin you could not even get either one of them to turn a key on a tractor. There is a couple that worked at the plant an both quit. They work side by side on everything on the farm. In fact she is the better of the two in the field.

cfpinz":1nzdgbgg said:
Don't know if folks in other parts of the country consider VA being southern or northern, but I sure consider it the South. My wife does the tedding and raking along with some other tractor chores, even drove a semi truck load of hay around the field last week while I finished loading it. She was hinting the other day why I haven't put her on the discbine, but after the number she did on my rake last week I'm not so sure about that...
Awww come on CF let her run it your really wanting a new one anyway

Latest posts