Do I need hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Here is the scenario:

Will be putting 4 steers and 3 bred cows (all Herefords) on 28 acre pasture March 13. The entire farm is 44 acres and has 6 horses on it all through the winter and they haven't needed any hay and there still looks to be plenty of stockpiled grass (but I'm no expert). When I put the steers & cows they will have the 28 acres to themselves and horses on the other 16 acres. For those in my general area (middle Tn.) do you think I should give them hay until the grass really takes off or should they be fine? The cows are due to calve in April. The cows are young (3 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs. old). If it keeps staying warm the grass might be taking off by then, about 3 1/2 weeks.

Thanks

Feed the hay. They won't eat it if there is some better grazing in the pasture, and at least you know the bred ones will get plenty to eat.

upfrombottom":331866vv said:
Feed the hay. They won't eat it if there is some better grazing in the pasture, and at least you know the bred ones will get plenty to eat.

Ditto

Depends. I have seen pastures side by side that had different stocking rates. Only your eyes can see what the cattle have left to eat. I would at least stock some hay.
If they still have stockpiled forage then I would not feed hay. This time of year the stockpiled forage is pretty well worthless as far a protein is concerned. You may have to supplement (protein) some. Being Hereford does not automatically mean they can do OK. They have to be the right type. As long as you have stockpiled forage the cattle should be grazed on it without hay. Once you start feeding hay the cattle will stop eating the stockpiled forage. Come spring you will have to shred or burn it off.
If it were me I would cut the 26 acres up and rotate the cattle. Leave the fall growth in one or 2 of the paddocks for stockpiling. Let the cattle in as soon as the first paddocks are eaten down. After they have finished off the stockpile forage then feed hay. Or you may have even planted something in the first padocks that they can start grazing.

Feed me rib eye at the table or put beef jerky out where I have to work for it. Which one you think I going to choose?

Red Bull Breeder":3sbx8ntg said:
What kind of grass is it. Stockpiled fescue has wintered alot of cattle.
And still is. When we had the snow/ice I put out hay and the girls ate it pretty well. Now that it's melted they're out attempting to graze on really poor fescue and occasionally come up for a few mouth fulls of hay.

It's mainly Fescue, the horses have been on it all winter but don't seem to have made much of a dent. The horses also had access to the other 16 acres so I guess that made some difference as well. There is Johnson grass in there somewhere but I bush-hogged before winter came on.

Buy some hay. Better have hay and not need it then vice-versa. I wouldn't think you'd have to be in a hurry to get hay.

Latest posts