Do I Need a Property Tax Lawyer?

Help Support CattleToday:

steve2015

Reaction score
I have Recently Buyed a new Farm House and Taxes on that is too high according to the actual price of that property, so to get reduction on my property tax. Do I need a Property tax lawyer?
Please Help…..

In the county I live in you can get your taxes reduced to what you paid for the property the first year just by contesting the tax rate and showing what you paid for the property. That doesn't mean the county tax appraiser won't start gradually inflating the value the next year though. Every time they reduce the tax rate they just up the appraisals. You may have to file for an agriculture exemption also. When a farm is sold here, the new owner has to file for an ag exemption or they just assume the property is no longer used for commercial agriculture and increase the tax rate.

As said, you can contest it. Helps if you have an appraisal to and facts to back up your claim. Our counties use a formula which is flawed to their favor. Its hard to get them to pull it down and of course if they pull it down then they are just going to raise someone else's tax because they have to have the money to fund the madness.

In the state where I live, what you would do is, first, go to your county buildings and speak to the Commissioner of Revinue and he/she can answer your questions and point you in the direction you need to go.

The laws/rules are different for each state and county. How it works here may not be the same as how it works wherever it is you are in the USA.

Katherine

talk to tax assessor. if he won't lower it ask for an appeal form, which will get you to the commisioners. you should also look up other peoples similar property to see how others are taxed

Thanks for your great suggestions, finally I found an expert property tax lawyer for appealing property tax from 1800 law firm and fill a simple form at mitaxappeal.com for appealing property tax assessment.