Do Charolais X Angus Calves Sell Good?[pics]

Help Support CattleToday:

kiku_fs

Reaction score
I need to know if Charolais X Angus calves sell good at cattle autions. Expecially the ones that look like this. You can judge them if you want to.
Two of our bull calves.
odin10.jpg

silver6.jpg

And two of our heifers.
luna6.jpg

bullet8.jpg

thanks,
Kiku

Good calves. You'll do good.

Might even do better if you retain ownership, sell on the grid and get the whole pie instead of just a piece.

MikeC":3djoyqy9 said:
Good calves. You'll do good.

Might even do better if you retain ownership, sell on the grid and get the whole pie instead of just a piece.
we only plan on selling the bull calves. we are gonna keep the heifers for crossbreeding.

Those calves will sell pretty good. They wont sell as good as yellow charlois cross or blacks will. They will sell better before they reach 400 lbs than they will after because they show the short type of angus, also they show that they arent getting as much milk as they need. At 350 lbs those bulls would bring around 1.65 per pound here

Jenson, Calf no. 1 shows alot of dark, mousy color which hurts the sale as the calf gets older. The calf is short in length, a trait of the old time angus and the rough hair and longer hair underneath and the maturity of the head show that he is older for his size. Calf no. 4 is alot the same as no. 1. Shows older hair coat for her size and is a little short in length. Calf no. 2 has much better length, but is short in it's height, it is too low to the ground. The rough hair and the long hair at the sheath show it is older than it's size. Calf number 3 is the best made calf and would appear to be getting much better milk flow. She has better length and her color, along with number 2 will sell very well. All those calves will not be too far under the blacks and yellows, which top the market, up to about 400 lbs and then the maturity and lack of length and the color on numbers 1 and 3 will start to make a bigger difference in price per pound as well as the lack of height on no. 2. I judge my cattle very tough on length, height and the mothers on ability to milk enough to keep the calf slick and growing fast. Maybe I sound too tough on these calves, but it is the way I judge my own.

Stocky,
OK, I see how you judged them. I had not really looked at calf #1 because of poor photography. I wish people would take 1 side shot with the camera level and aimed at the center of the body and 1 rear shot with the camera level and aimed at a point halfway from the tailhead to the hooves. Downward shts just make the animal look short legged and head closest shots make them look like a runt.
I thought that the last three were pretty good calves but I want medium framed cattle. I went the way of the too tall, hard doing, and less fertile cows in the 80's. At least they didn't work for me and my management in NW Nebraska.

Sorry for bad photography, #1 wouldn't stand still long enough for a good shot. Thanks for the info, I just needed to know if they sold good. We are going to use the angus x charolais heifer to crossbreed with our tarentaise bull, gonna try to get a straw, or yellow color. And to get better milk. But anyway, thanks for the info, its very helpfull. Oh and all these calves were sired by an old breed angus, he was out of P F Rito F4, so he was short, but very musclular. So i hope these calves get some size from there charolais mothers.

Here are our other two heifer calves, they are both a month old. I couldn't good pictures of the second, sorry.
stardust5.jpg

fiona2.jpg

And here is our other bull calf, he is 3 months old. Couldn't get a good pic of him either.
dusty7.jpg

Latest posts