Do Black Cattle Bring a Premium?

Help Support CattleToday:

Robert1617

Reaction score
New to the cattle business as a hobby/activity of interest in north/northeast texas. Do black cattle bring a premium at local auctions? What about black baldies/white faced black cattle? What about cattle with Santa Gertrudis in them or Charolais? Any other thoughts?

No, but other cattle may get docked harder than blacks, so many confuse the spread as a premium when it's actually
a case of less dockage.

No such thing as a premium, other than niche markets, top cattle bring top money and then the dockage starts.
Around here blacks top the market more often than reds because there are more blacks than reds.

You are in an area that you could throw some Gert in there. The Star 5 (Gert cross) females are in high demand, and the steers do well.

Robert1617":1s7zrevn said:
New to the cattle business as a hobby/activity of interest in north/northeast texas. Do black cattle bring a premium at local auctions? What about black baldies/white faced black cattle? What about cattle with Santa Gertrudis in them or Charolais? Any other thoughts?

What part of east Texas, which auction barn ?
Hard to beat the blacks, along with the black and yellow baldies in this area.
There is premium cattle that bring top of the market grade and growth are the most important factors. You are not playing with a bunch of hillbilly buyers the order buyer knows what the lot wants they have genome mapped what returns the most to the bottom line.

Son of Butch":250i3k7w said:
No, but other cattle may get docked harder than blacks, so many confuse the spread as a premium when it's actually
a case of less dockage.

No such thing as a premium, other than niche markets, top cattle bring top money and then the dockage starts.
Around here blacks top the market more often than reds because there are more blacks than reds.

Best I've ever heard it said.

In my area non black animals get docked much easier. F1 Hereford baldy types do not. Blaze face baldies may. Re: the breeds themselves, no insight I have in Michigan would probably be helpful for the texas market.

Son of Butch":1qtfnafz said:
a case of less dockage.

In KENTUCKY:
I see it as Butch does.

Not just feeder cattle. Watch the annual Elite Heifer Sale in Paris, Kentucky. The breed is not important but the color sure is. All heifers are certified as to pelvic score, reproductive tract, vaccinations, guaranteed bred, etc.

Black heifers go at least 200 to 300 higher than red, white face, white, etc.

Here there is no doubt black stocker/ feeders will outdo others of equal grade.
Black baldies will hold their own.
For replacements the baddies may ring the bell. As well may the tigers and braford types

Robert1617":24dhah6m said:

You're getting lots of good input.

The best thing you can do is go sit thru a few auctions. There's simply nothing better than first hand experience.

I usually buy in one place and I sell in another. They usually start my Charolais crosses lower when they come in the ring.

Blacks, no matter what breed, will topping the markets, next to reds and CharX. Black baldies sells better than blacks but feathernecks and red baldies do poorly.

Here in Va blacks will bring more. Black baldies are good, if it looks like too much simmental it will bring less and herefords are less, even reds and charolais will bring less. Anything with "ears" will not do much, and the "odd" breeds will really take a hit like belteds, highlands, etc. Those are for the niche markets and if you can find people who like them, you will do okay. The is a market for holstein feeder steers in the H'burg area, but jerseys bring less.

Robert1617":3smuw8xc said:

My other thought is to go with black Brangus. You get the black hide premium along with the advantages of some Brahman blood, and you shouldn't be far enough north for it to hurt you. Black baldies with a little ear will also do good.

We've been sitting through quite a few sales around here the last couple of months trying to get a good idea of what our calves are worth. I would say that muscle trumps color to some extent, but of the different colors black definitely sells the best. If you can make black #1's with 3/8 ear or less, that's about the best you can do. Charolais crosses do ok, but they'd better have butt. I think, especially with the importation of more Brazilian beef, it's going to be more and more important to make calves that have a chance at grading. When good black calves go through, it takes about twice as long to sell them because so many buyers jump in.

I'd rather selling CharX calves than selling shorthorn feeders, even if shorthorn steers are quality and meaty.

Latest posts