do any of you have?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
A tub grinder or bale processor? I'm wondering what kinds, how well they work, and what kind of mix you make with them, when you grind up the hay? Thanks

ive never ran a bale processor or a tubb mixer.but i do know this you need a 130 to 150hp tractor to run that bad boy.youd prolly be better off with a bale processor to put your hay out in bunks.now an 80hp tractor will handle the processor.

GMN":3tf9mbar said:
A tub grinder or bale processor? I'm wondering what kinds, how well they work, and what kind of mix you make with them, when you grind up the hay? Thanks
The only tub grinder I was ever around wasn't worth a nickel for anything other than alfalfa. Grass hay simply was pulled out and blown out rather than ground. If you're thinking of feeding a TMR a vertical mixer will work great for you but even the used ones are very expensive.

A friend of mine has a Jaylor (sp) that does a very good job. He can make some good feed from junk hay mixed with distillers grain, etc, etc.

You might send 82vette a note about this because I believe he had a neighbor a few miles down the road that was grinding hay and adding grain to it to feed stockers for resale. I watched in operation and it was impressive bit I have no idea as to it's reliability.

I was using a Highline bale prossesor for feeding hay, halage, and silage bales. It does a good job of getting rid of a lot of the dust from hay stored outside.
I used it a lot to chop hay and straw to mix in a TMR ration.
The highline seams to be a stronger and faster machine than others but I did have 140hp on it.

Latest posts