Do all Texas folks think like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
While visiting the PETA website to try and find some info on Obama's recent cruelty to a fly I ran across this post. Thought ya'll would like to read it.

Texasgirl wrote
So, while on vacation I decided to watch a little Discovery while it was a cloudy, yucky day. Something called "Pig Bomb" came on. So sitting here watching this, things progressivly get worse and worse and the people doing this are more and more stupid as the time ticks away.

Story:
In the southern states, Texas, Alabama and apparently particularly Georgia they have a huge come back of wild hogs. We would think GREAT, they arent about to be all killed out like once before. Well apparently those fools are on the move to make it happen again. They trap and kill these animals, some of them are their babies still the tan with the black stripes. I'm in horror watching this. So they say that these pigs are a minice... well aren't we the once encroaching on THEIR habitat? Yes we are yet we kill them. Of course, they are saying our favorite excuse for people to hunt deer "if we didn't kill them the population would just explode and keep getting bigger and bigger" I chuckled a bit at their foolishness then got a bit angry. They are killing these poor animals not even for food. They send their poor dogs out after them (pictures where shown where a dog had been sliced open and was whipering in pain after a chase) These hogs (they think) have mixed with the eurasian boar which is far meaner and bigger than our little wild hogs here in the states. Whatever... they are still living animals and don't deserve to be terrorised while living their life.

What's your take?

"Nothing Will Benefit Human Health And Increase The Chances For Survival Of Life On Earth As Much As The Evolution To A Vegetarian Diet." "It Is Significant To Note That Those Who Live On Vegetarian Food Are Less Prone To Diseases, Whereas Non-Vegetarians Are Subject To More Diseases. Why? Because Animals As Food Is Incompatible With The Needs Of The Human Body." Nature Can Be Modified By Nurture; Even Dogs Can Cease To Relish Meat When They Are Trained To Relish Only Vegetarian Food."

Jogeephus":2ynnost9 said:
While visiting the PETA website to try and find some info on Obama's recent cruelty to a fly I ran across this post. Thought ya'll would like to read it.

Texasgirl wrote
So, while on vacation I decided to watch a little Discovery while it was a cloudy, yucky day. Something called "Pig Bomb" came on. So sitting here watching this, things progressivly get worse and worse and the people doing this are more and more stupid as the time ticks away.

Story:
In the southern states, Texas, Alabama and apparently particularly Georgia they have a huge come back of wild hogs. We would think GREAT, they arent about to be all killed out like once before. Well apparently those fools are on the move to make it happen again. They trap and kill these animals, some of them are their babies still the tan with the black stripes. I'm in horror watching this. So they say that these pigs are a minice... well aren't we the once encroaching on THEIR habitat? Yes we are yet we kill them. Of course, they are saying our favorite excuse for people to hunt deer "if we didn't kill them the population would just explode and keep getting bigger and bigger" I chuckled a bit at their foolishness then got a bit angry. They are killing these poor animals not even for food. They send their poor dogs out after them (pictures where shown where a dog had been sliced open and was whipering in pain after a chase) These hogs (they think) have mixed with the eurasian boar which is far meaner and bigger than our little wild hogs here in the states. Whatever... they are still living animals and don't deserve to be terrorised while living their life.

What's your take?

"Nothing Will Benefit Human Health And Increase The Chances For Survival Of Life On Earth As Much As The Evolution To A Vegetarian Diet." "It Is Significant To Note That Those Who Live On Vegetarian Food Are Less Prone To Diseases, Whereas Non-Vegetarians Are Subject To More Diseases. Why? Because Animals As Food Is Incompatible With The Needs Of The Human Body." Nature Can Be Modified By Nurture; Even Dogs Can Cease To Relish Meat When They Are Trained To Relish Only Vegetarian Food."

Sounds like female activist wanting to control other people based upon her understanding of biased information.

The biggest problem with Texasgirl's thinking is that she doesn't recognise that you can't grow ANY fruit or produce in the midst of a population explosion of hogs and/or deer.

She needs to spend $7 thousand on fertilizer and then see the feral hogs make the prime coastal field look like it was carpet bombed. I am talking 6 foot deep craters 30 feet across at times. Acre after acre. The fish and game folks are trying to shoot them out of helicopters.

I trapped 43 of the (%#^(#Q% in one week. She wants food? Come and get it!!!

There has not been a hog in the place in 18 months now. There are herds or deer and flocks of turkey and I don't mind them eating vegetation one iota.

They have a picture taken not far from me that has over 160 swine in the photo.

They have cemeteries that have been totally wrecked with all the head stones toppled and broken where the hogs have tried to grub worms. Some of those old tombstones were hand carved out of limestone well over 100 years ago.

Let her buy a few hundred bales and hay and find it all destroyed by hogs.

No Jogee. Not all Texans think the way she does. We'd rather have packs of wolves versus feral hogs.

Believe it or not fellers this is what we are going to be up against, and it's coming at us like a freight train. We need a strategy, we need all the farm organizations involved, we need for all the producers to pull in the same direction for a change and we need it quickly or these animal rights people are going to have so much momentum that we won't be able to stop it. They seem to target one part of an industry, such as gestation crates or chicken crates, thinking that the guy that doesn't have sows or chickens won't fight it. If they target gestation crates then the guy with cattle needs to stand with the hog people and fight it, because the cattle may be next. I know this is about wild hogs but it's some of that same kind of thinking.

Larry

Larry I agree. We need to band together as an ag community. I don't care if you are raising rice or emus we need to stand together. These folks are clueless and base their decisions on feelings taken from Disney films. If we don't, our rights will be eroded away little by little until there is nothing left. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem facing agriculture today.

She votes with her pocketbook every time she shops at the grocery store. If vegetables, for vegetarians, are scarce and high dollar, how is she going to vote then?

larryshoat":f9tmzy9n said:
Believe it or not fellers this is what we are going to be up against, and it's coming at us like a freight train. We need a strategy, we need all the farm organizations involved, we need for all the producers to pull in the same direction for a change and we need it quickly or these animal rights people are going to have so much momentum that we won't be able to stop it. They seem to target one part of an industry, such as gestation crates or chicken crates, thinking that the guy that doesn't have sows or chickens won't fight it. If they target gestation crates then the guy with cattle needs to stand with the hog people and fight it, because the cattle may be next. I know this is about wild hogs but it's some of that same kind of thinking.

Larry

I say quit farming/ranching
throw in the towel
let them win
and watch them starve !!!
maybe that will change their opinion

Jogeephus":ubzi6wr8 said:
Larry I agree. We need to band together as an ag community. I don't care if you are raising rice or emus we need to stand together. These folks are clueless and base their decisions on feelings taken from Disney films. If we don't, our rights will be eroded away little by little until there is nothing left. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem facing agriculture today.
Jo that is the biggest problem in agriculture the hog farmer doesn't care what happens to the beef farmer and the row crop farmer don't give diddly about the chicken farmer
We all need to stick together as farmers and ranchers no matter what the other raises and protect our rights
But it will never happen heck you can't even get the beef guys to quit arguing and criticizing the breed another raises

I have visited the PeTA site several times over the last year getting info for several animal science related 'controversial' topics for some classes. If you all want to have a laugh, you should read some of the people's posts. However, many of the hard core vegans have very persuasive arguments for the animal rights/welfare movements. The more educated animal rights people realize the holes in agriculture from the business end to the actual producer, and are prepared to attack. Something needs to be done soon, or we won't have any animal agriculture left. And, not sure if anyone realizes this because I didn't until reading posts on the PeTA forums, but PeTA wants total elimination of all domesticated animals. They want cattle, hogs, cats, dogs, etc. to all be sterilized and let die natural deaths until there are no more. :?

They want cattle, hogs, cats, dogs, etc. to all be sterilized and let die natural deaths until there are no more.

Good luck with that. I seriously doubt that will ever happen. I agree about the letting them starve statment. If they
don't want people to farm, then dont. Then they will be forced to change their opinions on AG becuase
they willl have no food. AG jobs make up only 2% of the job work field, yet they feed the whole country, and other countries.
That's pretty amazing. They need to look past the fact that we are "killing innocent animals" and look at the fact that the only reason humans are on Earth is becuase they ate animals to survive. I don't believe killing animals such as horses, dogs, cats, and even some birds is right. But beef cattle, dairy cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, they are raised for providing food. That's how it is.

backhoeboogie":3d0173ls said:
There has not been a hog in the place in 18 months now. There are herds or deer and flocks of turkey and I don't mind them eating vegetation one iota.

Same here, except it's been 3 years now. I can relate to the "carpet bombed" look left by the wild hogs. Any wild hog that is seen should be shot on sight. No exceptions.

Until you have seen it, you don't realize just how destructive these creatures are.

I wonder how many of these idiots have tried to actually grow something to eat? Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.

Biggest problem with her statement, is that we encroached on their habitat, hogs are not native to the U.S. they were brought over and accidentally or purposely released on a habitat with no natural predators. Being an animal that can breed quickly and with many young, their population exploded. nothing about her post makes any sense whatsoever. Kill every hog every chance you get one of many big dangers to agriculture, including plants, and native wildlife. Post like that disgust me.

J.P.

Obviously, she hasn't thought this through. And even if she did, it would not change her opinion. Stupid is as stupid does. The state of Hawaii is a prime example of what the introduction of pigs has done to their native species and habitat. Species of ground nesting birds, orchids, and other one of a kind plants and animals have been wiped out as a result of the introduction of pigs there. That and feral cats. But we can't kill the piggies or kitties...

I'd be happy to rehome some in her yard, if she has one...

backhoeboogie":3rlnw3mw said:
She probably lives in a condo and practices catch and release for mice.

If her rats eat her vegetables or put droppings by her drinking containers, I can guarantee you there is no release involved.

I nosed around on their site a little while hoping to find a debate on Obama's fly cruelty and I gotta wonder where on earth do these people get such strange views on things.