DNA sampling and gun control.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
The DNA thread got me to thinking about gun control....again. Should people that take or have taken mind altering drugs be allowed to own guns? And should people who are on mind altering drugs be allowed to CC? IMO This is going to be a major problem for those folks that take or have taken Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine or any other types of mind altering drugs. The saying divide and conquer comes to mind.

In my personal opinion. No. According to the Constitution. Yes. I think.

Don't forget all the illegal mind altering drugs that enter into the equation as well. Pot, cocaine, meth, etc, etc, etc

True Grit Farms said:
The DNA thread got me to thinking about gun control....again. Should people that take or have taken mind altering drugs be allowed to own guns? And should people who are on mind altering drugs be allowed to CC? IMO This is going to be a major problem for those folks that take or have taken Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine or any other types of mind altering drugs. The saying divide and conquer comes to mind.

How do you know if they have taken them? If you are talking about a conviction, if it was a felony possession, then they already can't possess. If you are talking about physician prescribed, are we going to make every Dr. report that he gave a 12 yo Ritalin and therefore the kid can never own a firearm?

I don't disagree with your premise, but I see lots of trouble areas.

"(CNN)The Mile High City might be getting a whole lot higher.

An advocacy group has collected nearly 9,500 signatures to get a measure on the ballot in May that would decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms in Denver.
On Monday, petitions were submitted to the city and county of Denver's Elections Division for the measure to appear on the upcoming ballot, and the division has 25 days to review.

— Denver Elections (@DenverElections) January 7, 2019
While the Denver Elections Division has yet to verify the signatures, the issue is sure to sprout some debate.
"We want people kept out of prison, families kept together," said Kevin Matthews, the campaign director of Decriminalize Denver. "That was the main motivation for this."
It's important to note that the measure would not legalize the use or sale of magic mushrooms in Colorado's capital but instead would treat possession of the drug as the lowest law enforcement priority.

Under federal law, psychedelic mushrooms are classified as a Schedule I drug, the same as heroin or LSD. This means they have no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/health/denver-magic-mushrooms-trnd/index.html

I was told that I can't have a CC permit and a prescription for medical marijuana. Don't know if it's true or not.
Mental health issues - treatments and gun control laws are definitely going to be a slippery slope. And really there's no way around it.

The question we all should be asking is, who will determine who is fit, and who is unfit?
I prefer the to go with the old fashion piece of paper that says "Shall not be infringed", but sadly the majority do not have the same view.

There are several problems here with the idea that you brought up: 1) What are the parameters that disqualify a person? 2) What kind of proof do you need? 3) If mind altering drugs are not allowed, certain MH issues should be either. So which ones? I have a relative that cannot receive supplement life insurance b/c they are Bipolar. I'm not sure what the thinking is b/c I'm pretty sure life insurance doesn't pay out for suicide (which they're not remotely close to), and bipolar doesn't lead to any worse life decisions (ie food/beverage intake, smoking, alcohol) than folks who aren't. 4) (The biggest in my opinion) How do you enforce it?

This is slippery slope type legislation. One thing cascades to another, and next thing you know, no one is owning a gun. I'm afraid this is where we're headed, but that doesn't make it right.

Would you include beer on your list? That is mind altering to a lot of people that I have been around. :nod:

mwj said:
Would you include beer on your list? That is mind altering to a lot of people that I have been around. :nod:
I'll go with the 3 strikes and your out rule with drunks. Anyone who as 3 DUI has no business owning a gun. IMO
Heck they should have one put behind the ear before they end up killing someone.

True Grit Farms said:
mwj said:
I'll go with the 3 strikes and your out rule with drunks. Anyone who as 3 DUI has no business owning a gun. IMO
Heck they should have one put behind the ear before they end up killing someone.

You would have made it big in Red China. They believe in one in the back of the head.

they are already doing thumb prints on police stops (minor traffics, bicylist.. yep.. thumbprint needed) so maybe we should get DNA and retina scans as well for even a minor traffic ticket..

for YOUR safety and security....

hey you don't have to worry... you aren't a criminal...

tell that to the jews.

Caustic Burno said:
True Grit Farms said:
mwj said:

You would have made it big in Red China. They believe in one in the back of the head.

I didn't know China gave criminals 2nd and 3rd chances to kill our kids.

Latest posts