DNA Immunostimulant - Zelnate

Help Support CattleToday:

Is that the one, where you mix 3 viles together? It makes enough to treat a sprinkling of calves, but if you only have one sick it's kinda spendy. Weird description, but me and the vet were discussing it the other day. I haven't used it, but if that's the one, he'd like me to start.

Zelnate is neither an antibiotic nor a vaccine
It is to be given at the time of or within 24 hours of a perceived stressful event to stimulate the animals immune
system. So it's for prevention of BRD and not meant for treating an animal that is already sick.
I guess it's meant to replace mass treatment of cattle with antibiotics on arrival or at other stressful times.
I have not seen it...but yes I think it might consist of mixing 3 viles together.

Field service vets did a presentation on it during a food-animal meeting here last year.
At best, their 'results' looked like 'damning with faint praise'... and discussions with other vets who heard the same presentationwere kind of like, "Uhh...I'm not sure why you'd want to bother with it?" , so I"m guessing I didn't misinterpret what they presented.
Positive effects that they showed were so minimal, that I'm not sure its worth using.
That said, it was several months ago, and my memory may be fuzzy...

Latest posts