DNA Ancestery Profile

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
My wife and I are sending in the saliva samples to be able to get the results for our ancestry profile. Our DNA sample will tell us what nationals are in our DNA. Who knows I may be pretty close to TT as a relative.

Which company did you choose? Cost? Any medical info included?
I know a couple of young adults (both were adopted) who mentioned they were thinking about doing it, but several to choose from and didn't know which would be best. Takes about 6 weeks to get results?

PBS Tracing Your Roots (or something like that) had Bill O'Reilly participate.
They joked he was the whitest man on earth... only person the show ever tested where the results came back
100% England, Ireland and northern European.

Ben Affleck tried to sue to stop them from airing his results. Can't remember exact details but something like...
He was upset one ancestor came back as a White slave owner and great great great grandmother was a young black
slave girl owned by that ancestor.

A good 6 weeks for results. With ancestry.com you can download the raw data and submit it to a 3rd party like promethease and (for $5) get your DNA breakdown for thousands of traits. It's an eye-opener. I bought it during St. Patty's day, so I got $20 off. I wish ancestry gave a more thorough breakdown of nationality origins - it's pretty basic.

Basically, if your into genealogy and with ancestry.com already, go with their service. Otherwise if it is just your DNA breakdown you want, 23andme.com might be more suited to you.

Aaron":16kk40m6 said:
With ancestry.com you can download the raw data and submit it to a 3rd party like promethease and (for $5) get your DNA breakdown for thousands of traits. It's an eye-opener. I bought it during St. Patty's day, so I got $20 off.
So they paid you $15? :) That doesn't sound right.

I've heard $60 - $400 depending on what is run with some companies storing data and notifying you if anyone else
using their services ever matches you as a close relative and have helped some adopted in identifying other family members.

hurleyjd":1e5xgkny said:
My wife and I are sending in the saliva samples to be able to get the results for our ancestry profile. Our DNA sample will tell us what nationals are in our DNA. Who knows I may be pretty close to TT as a relative.
Mine would look a lot like ol' Rover the crossbred/inbreed/dog that roams the neighborhood calling on all the ladies.

Son of Butch":1ygu9dh9 said:
I know a couple of young adults (both were adopted) who mentioned they were thinking about doing it, but several to choose from and didn't know which would be best. Takes about 6 weeks to get results?

They joked he was the whitest man on earth... only person the show ever tested where the results came back

Ben Affleck tried to sue to stop them from airing his results. Can't remember exact details but something like...
He was upset one ancestor came back as a White slave owner and great great great grandmother was a young black

Found out I was part Golden Retreiver :shock:

Son of Butch":1w8uhv2n said:

A closed herd for 300 years. :lol:

Son of Butch":jcjme45x said:
Aaron":jcjme45x said:
With ancestry.com you can download the raw data and submit it to a 3rd party like promethease and (for $5) get your DNA breakdown for thousands of traits. It's an eye-opener. I bought it during St. Patty's day, so I got $20 off.
So they paid you $15? :) That doesn't sound right.

I've heard $60 - $400 depending on what is run with some companies storing data and notifying you if anyone else
using their services ever matches you as a close relative and have helped some adopted in identifying other family members.

No, Promethease.com is a completely separate group - not affiliated with any of the DNA mappi companies.

I think it was $100 CDN plus $20 shipping (that was after saving $20 for St Pat's). Kit came from California.

As more people take the test and match with me, my match list grows. If I was on the desktop right now, I would capture the screen and show you how it breaks down.

Also, they can't show you anything beyond 8th generation cousins. At that point, specific family DNA gets too watered-down to discern it from the general population.

TexasBred":t8rqeh1s said:
hurleyjd":t8rqeh1s said:
Mine would look a lot like ol' Rover the crossbred/inbreed/dog that roams the neighborhood calling on all the ladies.

Funny

Had a woman contact us a while back saying she thinks she's our sister. DNA test confirmed it. Father wasn't happy we did the test but we thought she had the right to know.

boondocks":3l9wadkb said:
Had a woman contact us a while back saying she thinks she's our sister. DNA test confirmed it. Father wasn't happy we did the test but we thought she had the right to know.
At least now you know Dad was a "sporting man". :lol: :hide:

My biggest concern would be how confidential are the results? Can they be subpoenaed?.. and with all the high level leaks lately, it's not too comforting

hurleyjd":380g09vq said:

I have some real Lou-Lou's in my family so anything is possible.

ClinchValley":1bjl72xk said:
I would be afraid they would then sell my DNA to the highest bidder.

Sure would be neat to know though.

I doubt I am worth much. Probably more of a liability than asset.

Latest posts