DMI EPD?

Help Support CattleToday:

rain dance

Reaction score
Whats the difference between the DMI and the $EN epd? In my mind the dry matter intake should correlate with the EN epd but some bulls have a great $EN but a high dry matter intake.Some have a low dry matter intake but a terrible $EN. The only difference I could think of is that some genetic lines can digest forage better and the DMI is a grain based ration so they tried to show that. I think something else is going on that I'm missing though.

Also if anyone could explain the milk EPD better and how it is calculated. In my mind milk is a inefficient trait past what the calf needs to be healthy for a number of reasons. It is far more economical to just creep feed the extra growth, take the compensatory gain after the calf is weaned or let the feeder have it.However I know no one is out there milking beef cows so I'm not sure how accurate it is and how much stock I can put in the trait.

From what I can tell is the one refers to a post weaning feedlot weight gain situation whereas the other looks at consumption during lactation and calf raising activities. I would expect the two to align closer, as you suggested, but I can see where the correlation wouldn't be all that direct

Latest posts