DIY bunk feeder with bathtubs and portable panels - help on dimensions

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am making some panels for use in feeding, I copied some dimensions from hay bale feeder, we work in metric, but will give dimensions in imperial, just trying to only make them once if possible.

Am mainly using for calves under year old, so 250 to 500lb, but, would be good if I can use them for grown cows too later.

I use bathtubs for feed, cause I have quite a few, and it works well, they are about 17 inches high.

I have already used some horse panels and cattle panels, the lower horizontal bar is right at the 19 inch mark. When smaller, they can put head between the next rung and eat, but, as they grow, not so good, so, what I have done is.....

Say the panel is 6 horizontal bars, I leave the one that is about 19 inches off ground, the next 2 above I cut off, so the space then is approx 55 inches. The bars that are cut out, I then cut and weld to make 5 positions, our panels are about 82 inch wide, or near 7ft.

So that makes each position approx 16.5 inches wide, with bar on top 55 inch or approx 4 and a half foot, lower bar as said is about 19 inch off ground, but as animal grows into a cow, they could not go through 16 inch anyways (well, we hope :) )

What do you think about those dimensions ? What do you think of the top bar height ?

Am I wasting my time trying to have them so they cover for calves to cows ?

Or will they just adjust the usage if they get very large ?

Or, am I better to just have 4 slots at 18 or 19 inches wide ? I did not want too much space initially as some smaller calves could probably then step through.

No one made bunk panels from portable cattle panels before ?

Can anyone say what the top bar height is or can be for grown med frame cows ?

Yeah ok...a shot of a made up panel....it is same width and height of common portable... cattle panels

I can confirm that 350 and 400lbs ers can get through that 16 odd inches when under pressure

That one I made....it was a cut off panel, had 2ft of vertical and I rail at bottom, it was a bit too much work really and cost more to buy material to complete than a new panel would, but I made it to match my yards and I put double pins on ends instead of the one side double and the other single.

With the next 2 I have started, yes, just cut out 2 rails, then cut and weld them back in vertically.

You cant see in the shot, but I will have 3 or so in a line at approx 90 degrees from the yards, tubs on old pallets or lifted about 10cm or so so they match the bottom bar, water will also go behind one panel to stop one who likes to cool her feet off in making a mess.

They are slightly downhill when on their side, and with the tubs there, none will go through, or want to go through.

I was hoping people who know more than me may have chimed in on sizing that may suit so can be used for cows too, I guess at the end of the day, if they can get their head in there, they will sort it out themselves as too how much space they will need.

I can also delete the verticals that make 5 16 inch or so slots, and have 2m width, might try that actually and see if they behave enough, they can sort out how many calves or cows can be in that 2m space, I have been putting a panel at 90 degrees to each bank so there is really on 2m space, if that makes sense, they have to back out and go round a panel to get into next bunk space, not just push down hill that just keeps displacing the one on the end...

Or maybe 1 bar, or 2 bars, creating 40inch or 25 inch, 25 might be good, 2 calves could use that, or one cow ?

So...without any pressure, none have tried to de camp even if the feeder was delayed...lol...

I have one with no vertical dividers, there is more pushing and shoving there, so, yeah, will weld in more dividers......and put pavers on ground in front......so all is portable easy enough....

Latest posts