Distillers syrup... backgrounding steers

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckian

Reaction score
Bought a couple totes of distillers syrup from a friend to feed to about 20 newly acquired 600 pound steers. They have free choice hay, free choice syrup, and hand fed twice a day. Right off the truck last Monday night they ran right to the syrup tank and started licking. The rest of the week they never touched it. They will run you over to get to feed, and health has been perfect. I was worried about over consumption at first, but now I'm worried they won't ever eat it. Monday will be a week they have had the syrup in front of them, how long normally does it take new calves to start eating a noticeable amount? The syrup comes from a local whiskey distillery, so I'm sure it's different stuff than what comes from an ethanol plant. Thanks in advance

neighbor had that same syrup out for his herd.. they would stand there and lick it all day. He had those lick tanks with the spinning wheels. not sure why they aren't consuming it.. is it just out in the sun exposed?

Yes, I've just got it out in a 150 gallon water tank.. I take a stick and agitate it every time I'm out there. I figured by now they would be more than taken off on it

kentuckian":1p1kbfxq said:
Yes, I've just got it out in a 150 gallon water tank.. I take a stick and agitate it every time I'm out there. I figured by now they would be more than taken off on it
i'm not an expert on it at all, but I know it can spoil. My neighbors spoiled somehow and they wouldn't touch it. smelled bad.

I've thought about that as well.. mine still smells like it did when I got it, but I may have to find someone local who has more experience with it to tell me if it's spoiled or not.

I took a sample of it to a friend that feeds it to get his thoughts. He said it should be good to go. He told me to give them some more time or borrow his mixer and mix wheat hay with the syrup, we will see how this goes.

Is this syrup the spent wash from the distillery? I have one offering it to me. Also can you feed this and the distillers grain at the same time.

I believe so, after a little while the calves started eating more and more of it. When they finally ate all that was in front of them I took a couple totes and bought some fresh that was still hot from the distillery. They are eating a lot more of it now. I'm assuming about 2 gallons per head per day. Free choice hay and I'm still bucket feeding them about 4 pounds per head per day of grain. So I'm assuming they can have distillers grain with the syrup, in limited amounts im sure.

kentuckian":b9smcleq said:
I believe so, after a little while the calves started eating more and more of it. When they finally ate all that was in front of them I took a couple totes and bought some fresh that was still hot from the distillery. They are eating a lot more of it now. I'm assuming about 2 gallons per head per day. Free choice hay and I'm still bucket feeding them about 4 pounds per head per day of grain. So I'm assuming they can have distillers grain with the syrup, in limited amounts im sure.
What age calves and is it working?

TennesseeTuxedo":1w5brsa8 said:
We have a small local distillery opening in our county and I know the owners pretty well. I wonder if I need to try and strike a deal for the byproducts?
I would, this one I got just started, only getting 2 55gal. barrels of grain for $15 each and all the syrup/soluble byproduct on the house. I guaranteed to buy everything they make so I got exclusive availability to it.

Semi load of 600 pound bulls that I haven't had but for a couple weeks. yes, so far I like it, once they got to eating a decent amount of it. What I like best is the fact of them having "feed" in front of them all the time. I've never had bawling/just weaner calves in this good flesh at this point ever. Maybe it's just the quality of the calves, but normally by this point I've had several pulls and most of the cattle look like they are going backwards. This set looks like they have already gained 50 pounds instead of losing it.

Don't quote me on this but I think there is a difference in syrup coming out of a whiskey distillery vs ethanol plant. I believe the sulfur is way lower in whiskey syrup.. maybe I dreamed that.

BK9954":3rewqonu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3rewqonu said:
We have a small local distillery opening in our county and I know the owners pretty well. I wonder if I need to try and strike a deal for the byproducts?
I would, this one I got just started, only getting 2 55gal. barrels of grain for $15 each and all the syrup/soluble byproduct on the house. I guaranteed to buy everything they make so I got exclusive availability to it.

Thanks for the advice.

TennesseeTuxedo":3qdcw9bq said:
BK9954":3qdcw9bq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3qdcw9bq said:

Thanks for the advice.

Never had experience with that stuff but the ethanol plant has it and bring you a tanker of it to your pasture and a thin cow will be a butter ball in no time. it's nice to fatten things up or use with poor hay.

Latest posts