Disposition?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Visited a friends farm yesterday and he has a cow that was plum crazy (high headed y'all know the kind), anyway he said that was his top cow and wouldn't take 5000 bucks for her. I wouldn't have took her if you gave her to me! We got into a discussion about high strung cattle and easy going cows, it would seem to me you would want a easy going cow easier to work and much safer, and seems the calves would be much calmer especially around weaning time.
Which got me to thinking what do y'all prefer in a brood cow?

Of course I would prefer a gentle cow, but not all of mine are. I only have her in the catching pen twice a year. The other 363 days she is out on grass doing her thing, while I do mine. The right facility over comes a lot of that foolishness. I load most of my calves without ever coming in contact with them.

My favorite and most valuable cows are Brahman and Brahman influenced and they act crazy when a stranger is in the pasture...high headed, snorty, running off. Normally I can hand feed and pet them (all over) easily. Maybe his cow acted that way because of your presence?

I won't keep one that is a Mankiller. However I do have some that are flighty. If a stranger comes over they run to the backside of the pasture. I don't mind flighty, I just don't want to wrestle a 1200 pound animal, especially being 4 foot 8 and weighing 83 pounds.

For most people, gentle is better. Maybe some situations with predator problems where heightened awareness in wilder cows may be beneficial. And supposedly very docile cows can be less attentive mothers. And a touch of wild might help when moving herds.

Since docility is highly heritable, wild cows are more likely to produce wild calves.

Most calves end up in the feedlot, and it is known that wilder cattle don't gain as well.

In addition, feedlot diseases like pneumonia have as an underlying cause, the fear and stress from shipping and adaptation to new environments. The stress of fear causes cortisol release from the adrenal gland, which suppresses the immune system.
Calmer cattle react less and have less fear and stress, and therefore should not get sick as much.

Also, calm cattle reduce the stress on owners, which supposedly helps owners live longer. And wild cattle are more likely to kill the owner directly.

If you are dead, it doesn't really matter what kind of cows you have.

Of course, some will claim that with wild cattle, you run alot more, which is good for your health. But you can also get exercise pushing the gentle ones to get them to move.

I don't want any mankillers on the farm so they goes straight to slaughter without any thoughts. Culled a pyscho rodeo stock cow last June, tried to kill my father and sister for no reason. At last I brought her for $200 when she was a heifer calf and sold her for $1,010 at the salebarn after had her second calf (the first calf was killed by the wolves). Sold her calf for $500. Flighty cows are okay with me as long as they don't attack people....

I don't want man killers and I don't want flighty cattle either. 1 crazy cow will stir up the entire herd, I've seen it way too many times. Whether you have to handle them once a year or 20 times a year, I see no reason to risk my life around them.

Speaking of high-headed cows, my father used to say "There's too many good cattle in the country to keep one like that."

Simmi Valley Jeanne use to use the term "COD". Cull On Disposition!

Calm, docile cows is what I like and have. That being said, I did keep one cow that was smarter than the rest, cuz she would not go in the corral when the others would. She wasnt a mankiller, just a bit cantankerous. I kept her becuz she always bred back, same time every year, and raised a great calf every single year. She died on the place this year after 14 years. She more than paid for her attitude.

I enjoy working with quiet cattle but I do NOT want pets. I have a few nutcases that will kill me if they ever catch me on foot away from the truck... As long as they raise a decent calf and breed back when they should they get to stay. They are the same cows that I see up working in the steep stuff and thriving while the quieter cows are down at the bottom getting by. There are a few exceptions of gentle cows that go out and work but ALL of the crazies do. :nod:
The way I look at it (now anyway, I used to cull heavy on disposition) I only have to deal with them hands on twice a year but they have to make a living where they are 365days a year so if a little extra snort gets them up into the good feed I need to suck it up and make sure I'm well mounted when I deal with them.

Thanks guys I can see having a wild cow in the west where they need to chase off predators but living in VA there not really a problem other than the odd coyote. And where im at its mostly small acreage so I will be in closer contact with them than you folks in the west. And if a cow was to get out I would sure rather try to move a calm cow rather than a crazy one. I think as a small time Farmer its best for me to have easy going stock. Just my opinion of it as I am fairly new to the business and don't know half of some of you. My uncle told me once even around calm cattle always watch your back because you don't know what their thinking.

Your uncle is right! Super tamed cows are very pushy and can hurt you easily. I had a halter broke heifer tried to mount on my grandma many years ago. Grandma was hospitalized after that incident. I prefer cows that don't want do anything with me but stay comfortable around me.

We only keep the tame ones now. We work on foot in pens and cubes out of the truck. We don't even have horse anymore, but we are more of a part time operation now. My Grandfather on the other hand was full time and if a cow had a good calf it was kept,crazy or not. As a kid I remember cows that would want to fight the pickup just driving into the ranch. We use to work the cattle in pens on horseback, there were some cows you had to really watch.
Last time we worked cattle, my Dad, myself and Aunt/Uncle were talking about this and how things have changed over the years.