Disposition.

Help Support CattleToday:

The vet and I were Bsing about this very subject a week or so ago. He days that the tamest cows he ever worked were a bunch of Herefords, the wildest craziest bunch of cows he ever worked were also Herefords.

the thing i noticed in my calf ropin' day's i wouldnt buy hereford.. because they would quit running after awhile no fight to em at all and to make a good run, the calf needs a little sass ,,, the toughest longer lasting was angus and epecially the heifers brahman calves were to dam squirrely a fresh bunch of brahman calve was always a circus act :cowboy: ..... this is not meant to run hereford cattle down i like em

Red Bull Breeder":114b1upk said:
Disposition means different things to different people. I won't fool with one that heads for the back forty when she sees me. Won't have one that is trying to tear the corral down when we work them. If i want my cows some where besides where the are at i just blow the truck horn and start driving where i want to go, when i get there granny will be right behind me and everbody else behind her.

Yep!! That's how we do it!! Works great.

bigbull338":3qi8eop7 said:
a cows calmness is based on several things.the breed the way they are treated.the way they are handled when getting them up.as well as the way they are handled in the pens.both the bull an cow affects the calves gentleness.my beefmasters are all gentle an easy to handle.an we try to work them quiet an easy.
That's what we do but 1 time in a hundred it just won;t work as smoothly as you would expect. At spring workup we had to run the cows across the lane into the working pen. Opened the gate and all of the calves and all but 4 cows made a beeline into the working pen. One ran down to the bottom of the pasture away from the gate and the other 3 hid in the trees. We messed around for half an hour trying to get them to go across. By then some of the others were coming back. One of those "circle" days. The vet showed up and walked down into the orginal pasture, we had about given up, and all of them came across the lane into the pen like the always did. He wasn;t within a 100 yds of them but they decided it was finally time. That's when my wife said again, "Tell me again why we enjoy doing this"

This excellent tread and subject material is an example of how valuable "CattleToday" is to the Beef Breeding community! Although ALL of these posts on this thread are invaluable in their own right, the two by "pdfangus" and "robert" are the most significant, In My Opinion.

Handling ANY animal which is five to 20 times stronger than you are, and weighs five to 20 times MORE than you do is a dangerous activity in itself. Knowledge and experience in managing these creatures is imperative if one expects to be successful at the job and make a PROFIT - and at the same time retain your LIFE and health!

In my early beef cattle handling experiences, bad disposition was just expected as part of the job, and nobody thought much about it insofar as reducing the problems - short of a 30-06 being introduced into the management protocols! Now, of course, cooler heads prevail, and higher firepower is quicker and more permanant! :lol2: :???: I am kidding , of course!

Everone has their own ideas about managing fractious animals, but by utilizing every technic from common sense to observing breeding traits will result in a more safe environment in working your herd for yourself, as well as your famaily and POTENTIAL customers.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":12tv5f5v said:
This excellent tread and subject material is an example of how valuable "CattleToday" is to the Beef Breeding community! Although ALL of these posts on this thread are invaluable in their own right, the two by "pdfangus" and "robert" are the most significant, In My Opinion.

Handling ANY animal which is five to 20 times stronger than you are, and weighs five to 20 times MORE than you do is a dangerous activity in itself. Knowledge and experience in managing these creatures is imperative if one expects to be successful at the job and make a PROFIT - and at the same time retain your LIFE and health!

In my early beef cattle handling experiences, bad disposition was just expected as part of the job, and nobody thought much about it insofar as reducing the problems - short of a 30-06 being introduced into the management protocols! Now, of course, cooler heads prevail, and higher firepower is quicker and more permanant! :lol2: :???: I am kidding , of course!

Everone has their own ideas about managing fractious animals, but by utilizing every technic from common sense to observing breeding traits will result in a more safe environment in working your herd for yourself, as well as your famaily and POTENTIAL customers.

DOC HARRIS
you could pm macon, and get him to delete the less significant

okk so is what you all are saying is that different breeds dont have more of a calmer side
than any other breed would, that all cattle are individual therefore having varying dispositions?
Another question, if a cow is a pain in the butt per say and you work with them every day for along time and they've gotten better but sometimes theyre still a pain.
Are they always gonna be like that?
Is there a way to calm them down to where they're just calmer happier cows?

gabbyellepaige":232pmxui said:
Do Sires and Dams pass on there disposition to there calves?
Or do the calves get personalities of there own?
What breeds seem to have good and bad dispositions in your opinion?
Now that we have got that question settled :) and we now all know which breeds have what characteristics of behavior :nod: -what shall we talk about next? :kid:

AngusLimoX":1d1f6j3q said:
Randilianas post answered the OP's question. The rest has largely been BS.
I would like you to go back a read many of your previous posts and let us know how you would rank them.

It's not so much breeds as lines within a breed-take for instance EXT-Emulation 31 was a unstable SOB and he more than passsed it on-individually EXT's can be ok but you get enough of them around a there are 5-10% are pretty much unmanageable-we run rodeo cattl;e too so have lots to compare too. We rifle culled a handfull at calving then shipped around a 100 and dumped 500 straws of semen-haven't regretted it for a minute.

I think it's close to 100% inherited, but you've got to handle them frequently and gently to boot. If the only time the cattle ever see you it's chute work or something awful they are not going to be tame. Bringing them food only counts for so much. On our farm we cull the ones that won't let you walk up.
If I'm working to care for something I want it glad to see me coming, otherwise it can go live somewhere else.

Betty":g6m2dgt8 said:
I think it's close to 100% inherited, but you've got to handle them frequently and gently to boot. If the only time the cattle ever see you it's chute work or something awful they are not going to be tame. Bringing them food only counts for so much. On our farm we cull the ones that won't let you walk up.
If I'm working to care for something I want it glad to see me coming, otherwise it can go live somewhere else.

Sooo, it's 100% inherited but environment is the determiner??

Which is it. And are you being subjective? Because that is not allowed. :D Just kidding.

Here's what I know from my own herd -
Had a real nice grandma cow, kept all her calves, bred her AI a bunch, all were smart and good minded, except one-I had bred old grandma cow to Lucy's Boy, an Angus sire. Great calf, had it halter broke before it was weaned. That calf was MEAN, like "take you" mean. Kept her, because she was fancy. 100% of her calves were the kind that if they are cornered in a pen, they might try to take you before they saw an opening that led to the chute. Not wall climbers, they would come AT you. Had 9 calves from her, and everyone I would think, "now I'm going to start this one young, this is a beauty", but I ended up selling every single one. They were dangerous to the family.
So, I think it's 90% inherited. But an otherwise real trusting calf can be wrecked by a scary experience. For example, I was "talking" to a calf over a gate, and
right at that moment when we were eyeball to eyeball she snagged her ear tag in a twine string that was hanging on the pen, backed up fast and slit the ear open, I was right on the other side of a gate, not a foot away, I'm sure that calf thought I did that. She was hard to halter break.
Chute work, all together as a group -- that doesn't seem to phase them, mine don't seem to hold that against me (except dehorning). It's the individual alone hurt that seems to make them wary, IMO.
The really mean ones are rare anymore. But if they feel like that, I don't think you can "train" it way. You just have to sell them. I sold mine. She was AMC to boot.

Latest posts