Disposition vs Smarts

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
I've got a Feb. bull i'm halter breaking right now that has the disposition I like in my bull calves, but about 1/3 the smarts. When going to catch him, put his halter on him, or messing with him tied up he is great. When we go to walk him is when the lack of smarts is noticeable. The idea of walking the same (or remotely close to similar) speed as me has yet to cross his mind. Its not so much that he bolts, but he wants to get where he is going very fast... without stopping. I even had a nose ring put in (i didnt do it as i was out of town when it needed to get done) but that doesn't seem to slow him down a whole lot, although I can tell he doesn't enjoy it.

Guess this bull will be the ultimate test of my patience. I'm bout ready to turn him out and forget about him, except he's the only one we have in that class and he is pretty good (got 2nd out of 10 last week).

Any ideas on lowering his idle speed would be much appreciated.

Ryan

The only thing that I can think of would to turn circle after circle after circle. Im sure you know that when they can'[t turn in a circle very fast. Does he walk fast even when there is another bull in front of him?

Sounds like a lack of respect for you, and primarily no respect for your personal space. A good talk with him that includes a stick or riding crop might solve your problem. I had a 2 y/o heifer trying that stunt with me this spring... I laid down the rules and had the problem fixed inside of 10 minutes, and she hasn't done it since.

Your calf might be a lot smarter than you're giving him credit for. ;-)