Disposing of Dead Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":3i5dxjwl said:
mitchwi":3i5dxjwl said:
We've got a mink farm that picks ours up....

Michele

My uncle (also in Wisconsin where Michele lives) had a mink farm nearby that took his, too. Had 16 killed by lightning once, all in one shot. All were picked up the next day right after the insurance adjuster checked it out. Don't know about the cost, though.

Sorry about your loss, Aplus.

16 at one shot, wow. Were they in the pond or something? If I had 16 killed one day by lighting I would be looking to see what I am doing wrong, thinking Gods Rath was coming for me. :lol:

aplusmnt":1ema525r said:
VanC":1ema525r said:
mitchwi":1ema525r said:

Michele

My uncle (also in Wisconsin where Michele lives) had a mink farm nearby that took his, too. Had 16 killed by lightning once, all in one shot. All were picked up the next day right after the insurance adjuster checked it out. Don't know about the cost, though.

16 at one shot, wow. Were they in the pond or something? If I had 16 killed one day by lighting I would be looking to see what I am doing wrong, thinking Gods Rath was coming for me. :lol:

They were huddled under a tree on top of a hill during a thunderstorm. I was the one that discovered them when I went to bring them home for evening milking. Pretty weird site. If I remember right we were milking 44 at the time, so over a third of the herd gone in an instant. They were insured but only for about 1/4 the amount it took to replace them. I was 15, which would have been in 1969, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

P.S. My Aunt & Uncle were in pretty good shape with the Lord, so don't think that was it. ;-) Just one one those freak things.

VanC":3k1n4rlw said:
aplusmnt":3k1n4rlw said:
VanC":3k1n4rlw said:
mitchwi":3k1n4rlw said:

Michele

They were huddled under a tree on top of a hill during a thunderstorm. I was the one that discovered them when I went to bring them home for evening milking. Pretty weird site. If I remember right we were milking 44 at the time, so over a third of the herd gone in an instant. They were insured but only for about 1/4 the amount it took to replace them. I was 15, which would have been in 1969, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

P.S. My Aunt & Uncle were in pretty good shape with the Lord, so don't think that was it. ;-) Just one one those freak things.

I bet that was quite a sight, did you think they were all sleeping and just would not wake up? :lol:

For me when it gets to lightning I get nervous, I figure surely there is something I have did to make the man above mad. :lol:

aplusmnt":35mkuahc said:
How do you all dispose of any cows or calves that die on place?

We call the local pet food company and they come pick them up - usually the same day. I'm assuming you have already checked out the laws in your area for burying animals - if not you probably want to do so, since it's illegal in quite a few places.

john250":11wlukln said:
Howdyjabo":11wlukln said:
No feeding RAW to just pets and working dogs is gaining popularity. And they think nothing of paying for it .
Its replacing the market for high dollar dog food.

Dogs with health issues- especially allergies do much better being fed a RAW diet.
And working dogs maintain weight better fed RAW.

I would never have guessed. Thanks for the info.

One can go online and find receipes for homemade doggie treats, and dog food, also guidelines on feeding raw meat and stuff.

younggun":2go48bpj said:
we always burn ours or put em in a hole but usually burn em so we aint gotta deal with the coyotes never thought of callin the renderin plant but as long as i can burn em i will :cowboy:

Way to dry around here for me to do that, I had gave it a thought. If weather permits I might consider this in future.

But hopefully it is not a problem I have to give to much thought to.

We drag them out back and put them in a draw out at the back fence. Yotes and buzzards get rid of them in a day or two.

When we lived in Illinois, we also called a rendering plant. Weren't allowed to bury them in Illinois.

Latest posts