Dispatching a good dog

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Have an 11yr old long hair German Shepard (Cesar) that is almost to the point that I need to be prepared to make that final decision. I'm not sure I want him to have to suffer through another Texas summer in his worsening condition. But then I thought that last summer too. As are all our dogs now, he was a drop off. We took him in 9 years ago and he has been a great watch dog. In the past I have had dogs euthenized, mainly at my wife's request, when they could no longer get up, or otherwise take care of themselves. Cesar barely gets up now but insists on making it out to feed the cattle and horses with me and the other dogs. He only makes it about halfway now before he lays down waits for us to return. Three weeks ago he tangled with some coyotes or wild dogs that must have come onto the property. He got pretty tore up. I'm sure if it hadn't been for the other dogs he would not have survived it. I've got him pretty much back together now, but between his cataracts and arthritis, his ability to take care of himself is in question. I've always felt that having the vet put our dogs down was a cop out on my part and that I should be the one to do the deed. If I decide to do it, is a 22 to the head the best way?

yes if you put him down.go for the head shot its the quickest an best.try to make sure you kill him with the 1st shot.

I think you might regret doing it yourself. If this has been a loyal companion and you are attached to him it may bother you for years and years to come. My father thought the same as you and he put down his blue healer Tia when her parkinson's became to severe. To this day it bothers him and it has been 11 years, he still sees the look on her face when he pulled the trigger.Now his blue healer Marnie is getting up in age and is finding it hard to walk and suffers from incontinence at times, he said he will take her to the vet when it becomes her time . He has also been avid hunter at the time and that never bothered him as well as put down the odd animal for me here at the farm.

I would think again about getting the vet to give him a needle you can still be there with him . I do not feel this is a cop out at all especially if you are with them until the very end.

Good luck as it is never an easy decision to put down a pet even though it is probably best for them.

Over the years we've had to have a number of dogs put down. I can;t do it myself so I take them to the vet and hold them and talk to them while they are being euthanized. I don;t see it as a cop out, just knowing my own limitations.

bigbull338":1zcp35j2 said:
yes if you put him down.go for the head shot its the quickest an best.try to make sure you kill him with the 1st shot.

Good advice. You could regret having to put 2 , 3 or more in your dog.

Doug - sorry but you are doing the deed, just getting the vet to help because you care about your pal.
Not a cop out at all.

It is your arms that will be holding her, not the vets. A proper good bye to a valued friend.
A humane end to a life well lived under proper care.

Now cattle, thats different!! :lol:

It's not a cop out having the vet do it. It is a much better way then wondering if you did it right with the first shot or if you missed.
He'll just go to sleep and that is the best way.

Not a cop out at all

I had to have one of the best dogs that I ever had put down because the neighbors had a lab greatdane cross and a pit bull lab cross roam free and they came onto my property and tore him up so bad we knew we couldn't save him so I called my neice who worked for the vet and had them come give him a shot to put him down

I had no problem at all putting a bullet in the neighbors dogs that done the damage but couldn't do it to mine

So don't feel bad Doug you are doing what is right for you and the dog

Thanks folks. I'll keep your thoughts in mind. Cesar did the funniest thing today. He had made his way out to the tool shed and had a 6ft long piece of 10 inch PVC shoved up against the tool shed with his face in the other end. When I next saw him he was waiting patently on the side of the pipe near the open end with an occasional bark at the other dogs to stay away when they got to close. As crippled as he is the other dogs still consider him the boss. A couple hours later he was feasting on a nice size rabbit next to the pipe. I guess since he can't chase them anymore he waits for them to come to him.

dcara":3aodekob said:
I've always felt that having the vet put our dogs down was a cop out on my part and that I should be the one to do the deed. If I decide to do it, is a 22 to the head the best way?

It's not a cop-out, and I don't understand why you feel like you should be the one to do the deed. Lord knows it's hard enough to lose a trusted, loyal, loving friend, why add the stress of putting the burden on yourself with regard to being the one to end their difficulties/suffering? Give yourself a break, and call the vet when that time comes - you sure don't need anything else to complicate it. Should you decide to go ahead and do it yourself, I think Dad used a 30-30. I'm not 100% sure of that, though, as the deed was always done when we kids were gone.

If you have the vet do it, ask how the animal will be disposed of. If the method of disposal is disagreeable, have a grave already dug when you take it in to the vet and bring it home and bury it yourslef.

I am sorta heartless old bastard and I cannot kill my loyal dogs. The last one got old took her to the vet just less than a minute and she just went off easy. ( I could not get a contract for him to do me when I got in to that condition.) If they are not liked or chase animal they are dead on the spot and a good night sleep will follow. Vet is the best way to take of your problem.

Reading this makes me teary eyed again for Precious. I wish my vet had been up front enough with me to tell me that she wasn't going to make it instead of having me leave her to die cold and alone. If I had it to do over again I would have just had the vet euthanize her when I was there so that she could have been with me, her warm and comfie Mama. I will never forgive myself for allowing her to die alone.

dun":1g7bt06y said:
have a grave already dug when you take it in to the vet and bring it home and bury it yourslef.

That's how I like to handle it . I've even had the vet come out to do the procedure at the house a couple of times when the critter hated to ride in the car or go to vet's office. BUT definitely use the vet for your beloved pets. I HAD to put a much loved dog down in an emergency situation; I was tore up from the floor up, as the saying goes, even knowing it was the right ( only) thing to do.

I have several big tough burly buddies who can't kill their own dogs so i've had to do it for them.Most are hounds that bears have torn up to bad.It's not a cop out ,you become attatched to pets and it's a hard thing to do.I'd advice vet or friend who can do it don't do it yourself if you even think it'll bother you.Can't take it back.

Our vet usually doesn't charge anything if it is a dog they have treated and there is nothing else he can do for them and we take them home and bury.

dcara":19g870qw said:
Have an 11yr old long hair German Shepard (Cesar) that is almost to the point that I need to be prepared to make that final decision. I'm not sure I want him to have to suffer through another Texas summer in his worsening condition. But then I thought that last summer too. As are all our dogs now, he was a drop off. We took him in 9 years ago and he has been a great watch dog. In the past I have had dogs euthenized, mainly at my wife's request, when they could no longer get up, or otherwise take care of themselves. Cesar barely gets up now but insists on making it out to feed the cattle and horses with me and the other dogs. He only makes it about halfway now before he lays down waits for us to return. Three weeks ago he tangled with some coyotes or wild dogs that must have come onto the property. He got pretty tore up. I'm sure if it hadn't been for the other dogs he would not have survived it. I've got him pretty much back together now, but between his cataracts and arthritis, his ability to take care of himself is in question. I've always felt that having the vet put our dogs down was a cop out on my part and that I should be the one to do the deed. If I decide to do it, is a 22 to the head the best way?

Id use a 30 30 or something more powerful than a 22 just in case.

Latest posts