Dispatching a good dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":2dzcuhy3 said:
Reading this makes me teary eyed again for Precious. I wish my vet had been up front enough with me to tell me that she wasn't going to make it instead of having me leave her to die cold and alone. If I had it to do over again I would have just had the vet euthanize her when I was there so that she could have been with me, her warm and comfie Mama. I will never forgive myself for allowing her to die alone.

Dude! It's a dog, not a person. Don't beat yourself up over it.

cowman30":1qju65fs said:
Lammie":1qju65fs said:
Reading this makes me teary eyed again for Precious. I wish my vet had been up front enough with me to tell me that she wasn't going to make it instead of having me leave her to die cold and alone. If I had it to do over again I would have just had the vet euthanize her when I was there so that she could have been with me, her warm and comfie Mama. I will never forgive myself for allowing her to die alone.

She isn't a "Dude" you moron.

What's your preferred method of dispatching a good dog? Run it over?

cowman30":1ca1oq6v said:
Lammie":1ca1oq6v said:

My dogs are like family to me and I'm sure Precious meant a lot to Lammy.
She's a lady , not Dude.

curtis":stmedhzt said:
cowman30":stmedhzt said:
Lammie":stmedhzt said:

My dogs are like family to me and I'm sure Precious meant a lot to Lammy.
She's a lady , not Dude.

Me too, as everyone knows we do not have children and hubby is gone away a lot so it would be very quiet and lonely without Steffie, the KIt Kat, Bo and Pinta. They are great companions for me so the very least I can do for them is do my very best to be a great care giver and be as compassionate as possible..No matter how shytty of a day I am having or had, all I have to do is look in there eyes and feel love immediately..

Having the unconditional love from a pet is a gift like no other and for anyone that has never experienced it I feel sorry for them.. :(

I also urge you to use a vet. Their assistance can be priceless in a situation like this. Ours charged about $40 the last time, we had to put down our Great Dane due to bone cancer. That included the office call and the euthenasia. Our vet also does cremation, which we took advantage of. 150 lb dog, and we'd have had to dig the grave by hand. The cremation cost about $50. We picked up the ashes a few days later and brought them home for burial. Money well spent.

The animal is sedated with one shot, they very quickly fall into a peaceful deep sleep, then a 2nd drug is administered that stops their heart. It is very kind.

I know this in an ancient thread, but the day is fast approaching here where something will need to be done. My dog hates guns, people, going to town, and vets. I really don't want her last hours full of stress. I have heard benadryl at about 4X recommended dose is a humane option..... but is it? Anyone have any experience with this?

I know this in an ancient thread, but the day is fast approaching here where something will need to be done. My dog hates guns, people, going to town, and vets. I really don't want her last hours full of stress. I have heard benadryl at about 4X recommended dose is a humane option..... but is it? Anyone have any experience with this?
I have no knowledge of using benadryl Silver so can't help there. My suggestion would be to try sedating very heavily with ACP and Xylazine, drugs you might already have to hand, leave very quietly for full effect and then quietly dispatch with a 22 behind the ear at point blank.
Xylazine by itself has been known to cause a bit of initial excitabilty in the doberman type of dog if my memory serves me correct.

Ken

I have no knowledge of using benadryl Silver so can't help there. My suggestion would be to try sedating very heavily with ACP and Xylazine, drugs you might already have to hand, leave very quietly for full effect and then quietly dispatch with a 22 behind the ear at point blank.
Xylazine by itself has been known to cause a bit of initial excitabilty in the doberman type of dog if my memory serves me correct.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I'll look into that.

I've wait it out as long as you can. Then when the time come you will know. Take him to the vet. In my opinion just mine... bring him home dig a hole bury him.

I just went with my best friend had her dog cremated. To each their own but that's strange to me. I don't want burn my pet or loved ones. 😬

I had to take my brother's dog he was 14 years old. He had heart worms end up getting real bad couldn't walk. It was a horrible day. Like I said you will know. When a dog become paralyzed in both back legs it's time. The young vet asked why we want to have him put down. I just stared at him. After coming to the car cause we couldn't bring the dog in he told me we made the right decision.

I went through this a few years ago. The Benedryl will make the dog sleepy and relaxed. I am not sure it will do the complete task. I used the Benedryl and then used a .22 under our dog's favorite shade tree. The end was instantaneous and for that I am thankful. Ken should know where to place the bullet, but I did it just above the middle of the eyes so the round traveled through the brain and into the brain stem and spine.

I went through this a few years ago. The Benedryl will make the dog sleepy and relaxed. I am not sure it will do the complete task. I used the Benedryl and then used a .22 under our dog's favorite shade tree. The end was instantaneous and for that I am thankful. Ken should know where to place the bullet, but I did it just above the middle of the eyes so the round traveled through the brain and into the brain stem and spine.
Thank you.

I held one old dog while our vet put him to sleep. Never again. Monte knew exactly what was happening. A good last ride on the quad, a hamburger ball and a 22 behind the ear. Several faithful old helpers are buried on a hill in the heifer calving yard.

My dog weighs 60 pounds. I've given him 5 pills just to treat for a copperhead bite.

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but I've heard of people putting anti-freeze in ground beef. Dog goes to sleep and never wakes. Actually it is so sweet they will drink it without the beef. It only takes a tablespoon for a cat. I know that from personal experience. We accidently spilled some when changing it and didn't think anything of it until the cat was found dead the next day. Curled up asleep. But, make sure wild animals don't eat the body because it will kill them, too.

My dog weighs 60 pounds. I've given him 5 pills just to treat for a copperhead bite.

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but I've heard of people putting anti-freeze in ground beef. Dog goes to sleep and never wakes. Actually it is so sweet they will drink it without the beef. It only takes a tablespoon for a cat. I know that from personal experience. We accidently spilled some when changing it and didn't think anything of it until the cat was found dead the next day. Curled up asleep. But, make sure wild animals don't eat the body because it will kill them, too.
I will defer to the Vets on here, but I believe that antifreeze shuts down the kidneys, not a quick or painless process.

I held one old dog while our vet put him to sleep. Never again. Monte knew exactly what was happening. A good last ride on the quad, a hamburger ball and a 22 behind the ear. Several faithful old helpers are buried on a hill in the heifer calving yard.
Depends on the dog. My Lab loved nothing more than taking a ride, seeing people, just the happiest dog ever. I held him in my lap in the back seat of the truck. Tail wagging & thumping on the door the entire time my vet shaved him and administered the shot. No convulsions, no discharge, just sweet relief. I loved that dog so much & wouldn't have traded that for anything - to be there, holding him. Which, of course, segued into a complete meltdown. But I smile every time I pass his grave with the cross.

Thanks folks. I'll keep your thoughts in mind. Cesar did the funniest thing today. He had made his way out to the tool shed and had a 6ft long piece of 10 inch PVC shoved up against the tool shed with his face in the other end. When I next saw him he was waiting patently on the side of the pipe near the open end with an occasional bark at the other dogs to stay away when they got to close. As crippled as he is the other dogs still consider him the boss. A couple hours later he was feasting on a nice size rabbit next to the pipe. I guess since he can't chase them anymore he waits for them to come to him.
My old dog is over 10 years old now. I have kept his arthritis at bay for the last 2 years with some stuff called Joint Care from Petlab Co. I get it from Amazon, along with his Hemp Chewz. I give him 2 of the petlab chewz every morning. I could tell a difference within 3 days. The Hemp Chewz just helps a lot with itching and everything else.. It is definitely worth every penny. He can track a day old calf in a high wind. He also improves a cows vision. Nothing makes them see a gate better than a dog on their butt!!

I use to have a deal with a friend. If one of us had a dog that needed to be put down he would dig a grave and leave the shovel there. The other would come over, give the dog a treat to eat, and put a bullet in its brain. He would then bury the dog. The owner didn't have to do the deed. We had both been around enough that the shooter wasn't a stranger to the dog. A 22 works and has worked for me on multiple occasions. But I do prefer something a bit bigger.

Latest posts