Dislocated hip

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a 15-year old cow that appearsto have a dislocated hip. She's able to get around, but I doubt I could get her loaded. She has a 5-month old calf. Any suggestions?

Rafter S said:
Howdy,

I have a 15-year old cow that appearsto have a dislocated hip. She's able to get around, but I doubt I could get her loaded. She has a 5-month old calf. Any suggestions?

If the hip is dislocated, there's not going to be anything you can do for her. Best to put her out of her misery.

If she can "get around" the hip isn't out of the socket. If it was the leg would be uselessly flopping around and she be down and in obvious agony. More likely a stifle or lower leg/foot injury. Have a DVM examine her. In the meantime if you can gently move her & the calf where you can closely observe & care for her. If thats not possible be prepared to accommodate her needs wherever she is. Good luck.

Maybe it's not dislocated, but the whole leg is swollen, and the hip bone isn't showing.
Was that the case when you first observed her or a new development? Can you feel her leg/hip and detect heat? Is she 3 legged lame or attempting to bear some weight on it regardless of how gingerly? No experience with diseases that have lymphatic issues so no help there. Another thought would be contact with a venomous creature. Really sorry for her and you.

I'd lean towards stifle. I've had 3 and recovery is almost never an option. Well, unless you can pen her up for an extended period of time & hope for the best. I didn't do that.

As far as lymphatic issues, can you check her lymph nodes? Visible swelling anywhere else? And it wouldn't feel hot.

I'd pen her up so she doesn't need to walk, see if there's an improvement in a week, then make a decision.. I think Dexamethasone has very short withdrawal time and could help her out, but if she's bred she may not stay that way.. at this point it would be the least of my concerns though

Latest posts