Disking coastal bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I have some pastures recovering from the drought with patchy coastal bermuda coming back in spots. I had a friend tell me that if I disked through it lightly, it would spread it and stimulate growth in the patches. Is this adviseable? Soil type is sandy loam.

Some here have said that disking would stir up weeds. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

Brute 23":2061rrs0 said:
It will do both. We disk our bermuda regularly.
:nod: It will help it to spread, but you will definitely have to spray for weeds.

Thanks for the replies. What is a good time of year to disk it? Is early spring the best time? Also, a couple of other websites say that packing afterwords is necessary to conserve soil moisture. Is that true too?

Joseph

unless you get timely rains soon after disking you will hurt more than help and I sure wouldn't be disking any bermuda that is recovering from drought unless you have fertilized the heck out of it and it has long runners. Then if you are lucky, you can disk it, cut the runners, get a good rain and the runners will take root. good luck with that in our current weather pattern

Latest posts