Disk

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Is there any way to set up a John Deere KBA disk so that it tows easier on the road? It took 6 hours yesterday to cover 36 miles bringing it to the farm.

Dun we had a john deere bwf disc that would just whip back and forth anytime speed increased over 9 miles an hour. We used a chain and chain binder connected one end to tounge right behind hitch pin the other end we attached to the furthest point outward on the right wing. Bind it as tight as you can. It took almost every bit of the whipping out of it. It is worth a try.

dun":1fqw5inv said:
Is there any way to set up a John Deere KBA disk so that it tows easier on the road? It took 6 hours yesterday to cover 36 miles bringing it to the farm.

I don't understand the problem?

Will it not tow at the highest speed of the tractor?

Is it swaying too bad?

John makes sense. Just sit it on a trailer...............

MikeC":1mluh16p said:
dun":1mluh16p said:

I don't understand the problem?

Will it not tow at the highest speed of the tractor?

Is it swaying too bad?

John makes sense. Just sit it on a trailer...............

Towing it with a truck. Seller didn;t have a way to load it on the flatbed.
It whipped at anything from a crawl, sometimes 10 mph before it would start. All it would take is a little irregularity in the road surface and it would start. The whipping acyion was only 2-3 feet . But that was more then plenty to get my pucker string tight. Particualrly when someone was passing in the other lane. If pretty well decided that it will die on this place cause I won;t ever haul it down the road again.

dun":i0ydpz6u said:
I have used one of the masadan cable comealongs. Tie it to the outside frame of one of the disk gangs and then to the bumper of the pickup. Hopefuly you have three holes in the bumper. Hook one of the hooks in this hole and tighten the came along . Take of done the road if it still whips then tighten the come along some more.

hurleyjd":1e64tb4c said:
dun":1e64tb4c said:
I have used one of the masadan cable comealongs. Tie it to the outside frame of one of the disk gangs and then to the bumper of the pickup. Hopefuly you have three holes in the bumper. Hook one of the hooks in this hole and tighten the came along . Take of done the road if it still whips then tighten the come along some more.
That must make turning interesting. How many cable comealongs have you stretched out or broke over the years?

somn":dkhdijy4 said:
hurleyjd":dkhdijy4 said:
dun":dkhdijy4 said:
That must make turning interesting. How many cable comealongs have you stretched out or broke over the years?
Never broke any moving the disk, I have pulled it about 25 miles at 50 to 55 miles per hour.

hurleyjd":2ttkqj1y said:
somn":2ttkqj1y said:
hurleyjd":2ttkqj1y said:
dun":2ttkqj1y said:
Never broke any moving the disk, I have pulled it about 25 miles at 50 to 55 miles per hour.
Well they must get stretched out alot.

somn":3olxcq8r said:
hurleyjd":3olxcq8r said:
somn":3olxcq8r said:
hurleyjd":3olxcq8r said:
dun":3olxcq8r said:
No I have not stretched any of them. Now explain to me how you can attach the chain to the tongue just behind the hitch pin and to the outer wing of the disk and make it work. Looks like you would just be pulling on the tongue and the wing and not doing any thing. You will have to have something attached to the tow vechicle along with the tongue of the disk some where to keep it from whipping.

There was one bright side to the trip. I got to see some pretty country that I usually either take a route around or travel through so fast that you can;t see it. Mad the acquaintence of some dogs that would just trot along side the door of the truck for a mile or so then peel off and go back home.

hurleyjd":vr4q8zsf said:
somn":vr4q8zsf said:
somn":vr4q8zsf said:
dun":vr4q8zsf said:
No I have not stretched any of them. Now explain to me how you can attach the chain to the tongue just behind the hitch pin and to the outer wing of the disk and make it work. Looks like you would just be pulling on the tongue and the wing and not doing any thing. You will have to have something attached to the tow vechicle along with the tongue of the disk some where to keep it from whipping.
The side to side whipping comes from the slop in the tounge of the disc and the frame of the disc it has nothing to do with the hitch pin or the towing vehicle. By attaching a comealong to the towing vehicle you stretch the cable when you turn one direction and have slack in the cable when turning the other direction. So tell me when the disc whips from side to side it is the same as turning left then right how does your method help anything. Cable gets tight then it gets loose.

somn":iuuxnomf said:
The side to side whipping comes from the slop in the tounge of the disc and the frame of the disc it has nothing to do with the hitch pin or the towing vehicle. By attaching a comealong to the towing vehicle you stretch the cable when you turn one direction and have slack in the cable when turning the other direction. So tell me when the disc whips from side to side it is the same as turning left then right how does your method help anything. Cable gets tight then it gets loose.

I think most of the side to side stuff has to do with weight distrobution aqnd the tires not having any toe in or caster/camber in them. The tedder is even worse about it and if you over load the back of a stock trailer and leave the front too light you'll get the same thing, only to to as severe a degree.

dun":145tub3c said:
somn":145tub3c said:

I think most of the side to side stuff has to do with weight distrobution aqnd the tires not having any toe in or caster/camber in them. The tedder is even worse about it and if you over load the back of a stock trailer and leave the front too light you'll get the same thing, only to to as severe a degree.
Well let me rephrase that then the side to side whipping on our bwf disc and every other disc that I ever pulled that whipped from side to side was a result of the slop in between the tounge and the frame. If you take that slop out with the chain binder they pull almost as straight as an arrow. We even had a old goofy willrich field cutivator that would do it and that had walking tandems. but there was slop in between the tounge and frame. If you notice only the older wore out discs will do it new ones do not. They aren't wore out enough yet. And 9 times out of ten the hole for the hitch pin is twice as big on these newer larger discs. If the whipping came from the slop in the hitch and the pulling vehicle they would whip from side to side worse. By adding a chain and chainbinder I didn't change the weight distribution, or the camber, or caster, or toe in. I only tightened the tounge to the frame eliminating the slop.

dun":o7tdjw3m said:
somn":o7tdjw3m said:

Dun, I have had this problem when pulling trailers or implements with a hitch that is too high. If that's the case a hitch w/ a greater drop would help. I've seen diagrams and instructions on trailering that says this condition may be caused by what I described.

I can relate to your problem, Dun. Bought a International Disk that gave me a fit trying to get it home. Had a couple of anxious moments trying to cross a bridge.

When I had a few spare minutes I rebuilt the tongue assembly on the disk. Had to put new bushings in and replace some of the cross bolts that were worn out. It took a lot of slack out of the tongue and it tows a lot better but still has some slack and it wants to whip.

Good luck on yours.

Latest posts