Disk or Spray ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a pasture that needs some attention. I have good grazing but there are weeds that I keep mowed . I want to plant some new pasture and I am not shure what to do first.

Should I spray for weeds, when the weeds die disk then broadcast the seed,or disk now broasdast the seed then wait till the grass starts growing then spray the weeds ?

I thought I would disk litely then broadcast the seed then drag and spray later.

Sure would appreciate some good advice.

Thank you, Kerley

Seems like it would depend somewhat on what you're going to plant

kerley":mvnvggv9 said:
I have a pasture that needs some attention. I have good grazing but there are weeds that I keep mowed . I want to plant some new pasture and I am not shure what to do first.

Should I spray for weeds, when the weeds die disk then broadcast the seed,or disk now broasdast the seed then wait till the grass starts growing then spray the weeds ?

I thought I would disk litely then broadcast the seed then drag and spray later.

Sure would appreciate some good advice.

Thank you, Kerley

Kerley if you have bahia it doesn't like a disc, if you find an aerator that is a different story.
Mowing only makes your root system stronger on your weeds, check your ph as most weeds like a lower ph than grass.
Lime is one of the cheapest ways to improve a stand of grass. Secondly I never believed in mowing something a cow should be.

I wouldn't worry about spraying if you are going to disc it all under anyway. Save the spray money until next year and spray one time. Disc, plant seed with lime added, roll, and pray for rain. Spray when it is established, as to not burn/kill the new grass.

CCRanch":25xbrnwp said:
I wouldn't worry about spraying if you are going to disc it all under anyway. Save the spray money until next year and spray one time. Disc, plant seed with lime added, roll, and pray for rain. Spray when it is established, as to not burn/kill the new grass.
I agree. Weed seed is just like grass seed, it needs to be at a certain depth to germinate. If you are going to disc it up the spray will be a moot point since more weed seed will be moved to germination depth. Disc, plant, allow to establish root system then spray the following year. Unfortunately establishing new pasture can be a painstakingly long process if done correctly. If the weeds are so bad they start to choke out your seeded grass you can spray some grasses on a light application the first year to at least give the grass a head start.

I still say spray then disc. This is the time of year when a lot of weeds are seeding out. Stop em before they can get bad with post emergent, then disc. The disc will spur new weed growth from dormant seeds, so then spray a pre emergent

When I planted a new hay field last year I sprayed everything with round up .... Disked then sprigged right after sprigging I sprayed to stop seeds from germinating ... If you are planting seeds wait until the weeds come up and respray .. if you spray before you plant it gives the new plants a better chance by keeping old weeds from seeding out .

A notill drill is a much better solution then discing. Burn down te=wice with glyphosate then no till your seeds a couple of weeks after the second spraying.

dun":2l2t7x2j said:
A notill drill is a much better solution then discing. Burn down te=wice with glyphosate then no till your seeds a couple of weeks after the second spraying.
Unless he wants to speed up the release of the nutrients from the organic matter to the soil. But I agree to certain extent..no till will not distrurb dormant weed seed nearly as much

hooknline":kbys5a0n said:
dun":kbys5a0n said:
Unless he wants to speed up the release of the nutrients from the organic matter to the soil. But I agree to certain extent..no till will not distrurb dormant weed seed nearly as much
That's the point. By discing more seed to germinate is being made available and you can almost bet the 90% of them will be weeds that aren;t wanted

I sprayed one pasture with Grazon yesterday. I can see where some of the broadleaf weeds are starting to look distressed. I will see what happens this week.

kerley":26lbcsvf said:
I sprayed one pasture with Grazon yesterday. I can see where some of the broadleaf weeds are starting to look distressed. I will see what happens this week.
You'ree aware that Grazon wil prevent germination of any seed you plant for anywhere form 3-6 months.

dun":2e9s7qjs said:
kerley":2e9s7qjs said:
You'ree aware that Grazon wil prevent germination of any seed you plant for anywhere form 3-6 months.
Now that I did not know. Good thing I only sprayed half the pastures. Actually Grazon does not impress me. I am thinking about 2-4-d. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

kerley":9nc1abtu said:
dun":9nc1abtu said:
kerley":9nc1abtu said:
Now that I did not know. Good thing I only sprayed half the pastures. Actually Grazon does not impress me. I am thinking about 2-4-d. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

I will not use grazon except for fence lines it doesn't know good seed from bad. You are wiping out your clover,rye, bahia and any other good seed in your seed bank. I use 2-4-d and Remedy. Cost wise its a wash as you end up spraying more with 2-4D versus Grazon. I quit because of clover I have maintained a good stand for years in my bottom pastures.

Grazon is 2,4-d with picloram. It seems to me that Grazon is less volitile then straight 2,4-d (either of them). But the each have a place, just have to use them in the right place. I buy Grazon in 30 gal drums and 2,4-d in 2 1/2 jugs. I've been known to mix glyphosate and Grazon together to kill everything and keep it form coming back