diseases humans can catch from cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jessinoble23

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list or a website on diseases human can catch from cows. My father had a cow die the other day the vet said it was hardware disease or heart problems. The cow was very swelled up, and yesterday my father became swelled up and the doctors dont know what he has, I was thinking maybe he caught what the cow had.
if anyone can help me it would be great. email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Jessi[/i]

you cant catch heart problems from a cow.hardware is something she swallowed.like wire or steel.

:D I'm sorry...I'm laughing...really hard.
Please forgive me. I know you are concerned about your father. But if he has hardware disease...he needs to take iron pills instead of eating the actual iron.
Hardware disease is caused by pieces of metal that the cattle eat, either on purpose or by accident. The those pieces end up poking a lung, the heart or gut and eventually kill the cow. And a cow will bloat up because of the gasses in their stomach after they die. But then again, maybe she died because of the bloat? I could be way wrong here, but I doubt what your father has today is a result of what the cow had yesterday.

Welcome to boards Jessi
Dad needs to be drenched with 1 liter of prune juice. ;-)
I hope his Dr.s can help pdq.

I had ORFS disease one time that the doc said I caught from a cow. We had some stockers, one day I saw one choking, so brother roped it and I got on top and felt down in its throat, found nothing but on the way out its front tooth cut my hand a little, a couple weeks later had a nasty looking knot like thing come up on my hand, went to have it looked at and the doctor cut it off right there. He sent it off to have it checked and called me back later and said it was ORFS disease. :oops: :oops:

jessinoble23 -- Hope the docs figure out what's up with your dad, and I hope he's OK..

J -- What the heck is ORFS disease?? The only acronym I could find was "O-Ring Face Seal," which could apply here in a warped, twisted sorta way.. You grabbed the cow by the face, stuck your arm through it's O-Ring and she clamped down for a better seal.. :p

cmjust0":331xs5j5 said:
jessinoble23 -- Hope the docs figure out what's up with your dad, and I hope he's OK..

J -- What the heck is ORFS disease?? The only acronym I could find was "O-Ring Face Seal," which could apply here in a warped, twisted sorta way.. You grabbed the cow by the face, stuck your arm through it's O-Ring and she clamped down for a better seal.. :p
Not sure what it means either, thats just what the doc said, I asked him if I was dying :shock: he said no and that was about it. Guess maybe I should have got more info out of him huh? :oops:

The term orf is one of many common names for Contagious ecthyma caused by a poxvirus similar to the cowpox virus.
Orf is usually seen in spring usually associated with sheep and goats, and younger animals. It is harmless to humans, often seen in stockmen/women and abattoir workers.
The most worrying zoonoses are;Brucellosis and Tuberculosis,hence the strict regulations concerning these diseases. Anthrax though rarely seen these days,is deadly to all warm blooded animals. Moat other diseases and paracites are species specific, and rarely affect people.

Latest posts