Disease Spread By Deer????????/

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

:?: I need to know the name of the disease in cattle that causes abortion and is spread by deer.....

You could be talking about Brucelosis, more commonly known as Bangs.
Possibly lepto also.

Also chlamydia psittca, commonly called foothill abortion disease.

dun

Jess":36fjae0f said:
:?: I need to know the name of the disease in cattle that causes abortion and is spread by deer.....

Am I missing something here? Ive never heard of cattle getting diseases from deer. Is there really a documented case somewhere that I don't know about?

Look into "foothills abortion"

dun

arrowhunter":121t1mnp said:
Am I missing something here? Ive never heard of cattle getting diseases from deer. Is there really a documented case somewhere that I don't know about?

Sorry guy's but I'm still not sold on this. I realize TB is airborne and therefore in theory could be transmitted to cattle. I can't find any info of this ever being documented or proven in any way. Just like the Yellowstone buffalo, never proven only theory. If this was true then humans would certainly be able to get it from deer too.
I may be way off base here but I can't find any literature supporting this. Is there a vet on this board that could shed some light on species to species transmission??

Jess":3o0attqh said:

Never heard of deer being a problem. Dog's and coyotes transmit a disease called neospora that causes abortion.

there is one disease that they think is spread by cattle sharing standing water that deer urinate or defecate in, but i cant think of the name. i want to say it is Red Water Disease or Lepto.

arrowhunter":28g2f1gg said:
Sorry guy's but I'm still not sold on this. I realize TB is airborne and therefore in theory could be transmitted to cattle. I can't find any info of this ever being documented or proven in any way. Just like the Yellowstone buffalo, never proven only theory. If this was true then humans would certainly be able to get it from deer too.
I may be way off base here but I can't find any literature supporting this. Is there a vet on this board that could shed some light on species to species transmission??

I had three bull that I was puting in a sale. When I had the BSE done the bulls turned up with Blue Tongue that is spread by deer drinking from the waters. It made the bulls temporary sterile. I had to pull them from the sale. In a couple of months they checked out fine, too late for the sale.

I hate to tell you, but you need to look past TB. Yes it can happen, but so can Johne's. Trust me, I know this from experience.
Alan

Latest posts