Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'd really like some 1/2 blood brahman replacement heifers. Impossible to find in my area. I see them ran for sale in various places for some extremely high prices. I get it on the F1 brafords, and to extent on the F1 brangus. Provided they are out of knockout good cows, and a good bull.

1. I know asking and getting are 2 different things, but if any halfblood brahman female commands those prices, why are there not more of them available.

2. I might abandon the search. It'd be cheaper and easier for me to cut about 25 cows from my herd and breed them to a brahman bull. I just want 12-15 heifers anyway. Take my hit on the steers, and move on.

What do you consider an extremely high price?

I think it's a mixture of people not wanting to deal with Brahmans. Plus, alot of the people purposely breeding the F1s are doing it to supply their own commercial herds. If they do have quality F1s to sell the can usually sell them off their front porch. There is no reason to really advertise.

You make an excellent point on the advertising. I have never, would I ever consider advertising a horse for sale.

I see a lot of 10 month old heifers ran for 1500 to 1800, with some higher than that. If thats the going price, then thats fine. With the price that high, i would think supply would increase.

Don't see them very often anymore, but used to be some Brahman bulls around. Used to pass by a farm that ran a bull, thought some about stopping by and seeing if they would contact me when or if they sold the calves, but never did.
It's not the same as f1 but from time to time I see some ear calves sell at the stockyards. I have picked up some right nice heifers over time that way. Most are Santa Gertrudis in this area but are starting to see some Brangus type too.
Picked this young Gert and a couple Hereford heifers up about 2 months ago.

Bigfoot said:
You make an excellent point on the advertising. I have never, would I ever consider advertising a horse for sale.

I see a lot of 10 month old heifers ran for 1500 to 1800, with some higher than that. If thats the going price, then thats fine. With the price that high, i would think supply would increase.

That's about what they run. That Queens of the South Sale is about as good as I have seen for quality and price.

It kind of depends how bad you want to get in it. Buying a bull would put you in the game long term and you would know exactly what you are making.

AI would be cool also if you are familiar with it.

There are some cross bred heifers that sell lower but the tend to favor a hair more than 1/2 brahman IMO.

I'm partial to breeding my own stuff. It's just rewarding to me. We put our Brahman bulls across some commercial cows this last year and it paid off.

Raised my own F1 Braford in the 80s, for personal use ..could have sold every heifer right off the tit..with the Angus craze, they are a little harder too find around """"here"""" right now..outside of the internet...course I know you figured it out but,if you were to go the bull route..use all your solid top end cows...

I may be on to some half bloods out of mixed breed commercial cows in north Louisiana. Not exactly what i wanted, but I bet my wife said the same thing the day we married.

crimsoncrazy said:
Probably hard to find because the heifers sell well but take a big hit on the steers.

The steers will sale middle of the pack at the barn and for a heck of a lot more than back forty cattle.
The heifers you can name your price sitting on the porch.
Big reason that a lot of people aren't doing it is quality grey Brahman heifers are gold to purchase.
It takes a thick checkbook to build a herd of Brimmer girls.

The price will depend on your area. Quality F1 bulls will sell good depending on where you are. The tiger bulls sell a little less but a red or black F1 will sell up there real close, here. Composite breeds can sell real good. My family just sold some beefmaster bull calves that were #550 straight off the cow and got 1.69-1.79.

This is something I've thought about a lot. Everyone keeps talking me out of it. I would really like to 10 straws on some of my better angus cows and see what happens. I've saw a lot of Brahman cows with horrible udders. Is this something they are known for?
What does a calf look like out of a full blood angus cow and a gray Brahman bull?

Around here they sell a lot of them they Always sell high always 1/2 bloods don't go for as much as the full blood and 3/4 but they still go on the high side of the marke there is a man selling (30) 3/4 blood and 1/2 blood replacements right from his house for $1200-1300 a head somebody ask him why he don't send them to a sale and get them gone quicker he said cause they sell their selves right out of the pasture they thrive in south Louisiana. Go for a ride around here 75% of people will have a few in there herds

DCA farm said:
Around here they sell a lot of them they Always sell high always 1/2 bloods don't go for as much as the full blood and 3/4 but they still go on the high side of the marke there is a man selling (30) 3/4 blood and 1/2 blood replacements right from his house for $1200-1300 a head somebody ask him why he don't send them to a sale and get them gone quicker he said cause they sell their selves right out of the pasture they thrive in south Louisiana. Go for a ride around here 75% of people will have a few in there herds
If I lived in So.Louisiana..that's all I'd have..

T & B farms said:
This is something I've thought about a lot. Everyone keeps talking me out of it. I would really like to 10 straws on some of my better angus cows and see what happens. I've saw a lot of Brahman cows with horrible udders. Is this something they are known for?
What does a calf look like out of a full blood angus cow and a gray Brahman bull?
they have some with bottle tits,had a few myself.brahmans are heavy milkers.but you have to do some background on both parents cause you'll find that in some of the Herefords...seen a lot of polled with bottle tits..

Caustic Burno said:
crimsoncrazy said:
Probably hard to find because the heifers sell well but take a big hit on the steers.

The steers will sale middle of the pack at the barn and for a heck of a lot more than back forty cattle.
The heifers you can name your price sitting on the porch.
Big reason that a lot of people aren't doing it is quality grey Brahman heifers are gold to purchase.
It takes a thick checkbook to build a herd of Brimmer girls.
[/quote
You right, even finding good Hereford females resonable The ones around here anyway, are out if registered stock ..and they don't like to bargain..

ALACOWMAN said:
DCA farm said:
If I lived in So.Louisiana..that's all I'd have..

I thought the same thing so bought some young heifers I could not keep them in if they couldn't jump the fence they would run through it. Something about the grass along the road or just on the other side of fence they liked.

The ""majority""always seemed to mellow out after the second calf, but I had more trouble with my simbra, than the Tigers ..they were great calf raisers though,just not a easy keeper.. I figured out,didn't want them as bad as I thought I did.. :cowboy:

crimsoncrazy said:

The f1 steers don't take a bad hit. Now when I run straight Brahman or Hereford steers through the barn, I get murdered. Flat out horrible. Leaving the nuts on them this year to see if it will make a difference. Maybe get a couple more hands thrown up if they're good enough to go to someone's pasture for a while

T & B farms said:

This is a true F1 Brangus. She was an Angus bull over a Brahman cow.

Bigfoot said:
I'd really like some 1/2 blood brahman replacement heifers. Impossible to find in my area. I see them ran for sale in various places for some extremely high prices. I get it on the F1 brafords, and to extent on the F1 brangus. Provided they are out of knockout good cows, and a good bull.

1. I know asking and getting are 2 different things, but if any halfblood brahman female commands those prices, why are there not more of them available.

2. I might abandon the search. It'd be cheaper and easier for me to cut about 25 cows from my herd and breed them to a brahman bull. I just want 12-15 heifers anyway. Take my hit on the steers, and move on.

The reason they aren't available is because most are sold within 72 hours of calving. You probably need to get in touch with the guys who buy em all up and purchase at least 20.