Discouraging News

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
One can only hope that somehow, someway and sometime things have got to get better.

Markets Alert
from The Wall Street Journal

U.S. stocks posted their biggest losses of the year following another disappointing employment report.

The Dow industrials sank 274.88 points, or 2.2%, to 12118.57, turning negative for the year. The Nasdaq composite lost 79.86, or 2.8%, to 2747.48. The S&P 500 fell 32.29, or 2.5%, to 1278.04.

Gold prices shot up 3.7% to $1,620.50 a troy ounce. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.467%, its first time ever below 1.5%. Crude-oil slumped 3.8%. The dollar retreated against the euro and yen.

Markets Alert
from The Wall Street Journal

A third straight disappointing monthly U.S. jobs report sent stocks tumbling and pushed the Dow industrials into the red for the year.

After the first hour of trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 201 points to 12192. The Standard & Poor's 500-stock index was down 23 points to 1286 and the Nasdaq Composite was down 56 points to 2771. The yield on 10-year Treasurys fell to 1.47%. Oil futures were down while gold rose.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":1mmqxip3 said:
I would hate to look at a 401k and thinking about retireing today.

i don't know of a safe investment anywhere, certainly not on wall street.
i heard someone say the best place to put your money right now is can goods and ammunition

cross_7":12rm6uq6 said:
Caustic Burno":12rm6uq6 said:
I would hate to look at a 401k and thinking about retireing today.

i don't know of a safe investment anywhere, certainly not on wall street.
i heard someone say the best place to put your money right now is can goods and ammunition

I have plenty of both.
Luckly I went heavy in long term bond's in 08.
I have said it on here many time's we have to live within our mean's, debt has to be serviced sooner or later and the chicken's have come home to roost. We as American's are to blame for we want it now somebody will lend the money or feed me. We have changed as a society at how we look and manage money my generation saved as there was no one to bail you out. If you didn't have cash you didn't need it. There was no food stamp's you had better find a job and get a flashlight and a 22 and fill up the freezer.
Secondly allowing the politicians to rob us blind to pay for pet project's and this didn't happen overnight.
Eisenhower opened the lid on the Social Security box to bail out the postal service and put an IOU in.
LBJ ripped the lid off and threw it away to pay for all of his welfare project's and replaced it with IOU's. After that it became the unstoppable object traveling across the universe.
They have been robbing and taxing the working man to buy the votes of those who wont work.
Peter has been robbed to pay Paul till Peter is broke.

Caustic Burno":1zczqwmo said:
I have said it on here many time's we have to live within our mean's, debt has to be serviced sooner or later and the chicken's have come home to roost. We as American's are to blame for we want it now somebody will lend the money or feed me. We have changed as a society at how we look and manage money my generation saved as there was no one to bail you out. If you didn't have cash you didn't need it. There was no food stamp's you had better find a job and get a flashlight and a 22 and fill up the freezer.
Secondly allowing the politicians to rob us blind to pay for pet project's and this didn't happen overnight.
Eisenhower opened the lid on the Social Security box to bail out the postal service and put an IOU in.
LBJ ripped the lid off and threw it away to pay for all of his welfare project's and replaced it with IOU's. After that it became the unstoppable object traveling across the universe.
They have been robbing and taxing the working man to buy the votes of those who wont work.
Peter has been robbed to pay Paul till Peter is broke.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Everything you said pretty well sums it up. The last line is especially true.

And folks are only kidding themselves if they think all the nonense in Europe has no affect on the USA.

Katherine

hooknline":11ib1nby said:
Well put cb. I don't even have a cc anymore. Cash or it isn't happening.
Hmm....I've started using credit cards more than ever...even paying some bills with them...I take advantage of the 1% - 5% cash back programs then redeem for gift cards at discount prices.

Hmmm. I haven't got to the point of using credit to make money. Tooany things to go Wrong and could get my ass in a sling. Been there done that and not taking those kind of risks until things stabalize. I don't have money to gamble so I can't afford to lose what I do have. Just putting what I have into cattle is a risk.

Yes Hook buying cattle at these prices is a big risk. The way I see it you have little choice with all the land that you've been picking up.
I hope you do good.

highgrit":3gb14jre said:
Yes Hook buying cattle at these prices is a big risk. The way I see it you have little choice with all the land that you've been picking up.
I hope you do good.
Truth be told I paid just over 1k/hd

Workinonit Farm":2v5254bt said:
And folks are only kidding themselves if they think all the nonense in Europe has no affect on the USA.
Katherine
You are right on that. That is one, if not the major factor behind the recent stock market sell off. The US dollar has been doing well compared to other curriencies because even though the US is in bad shape, the others are worse.

Central banks are buying gold. China will not let gold leave their country.
Gold/silver and Caustics long term bonds have become the "scare" assets of the world.
And people still believe what DC and the media tell them. :bang:

Lead is bring a pretty good price too. Of course the gvt is selling all mil brass to china after shredding it. Dont want once fired brass falling into American hands.

hooknline":2kysm1j9 said:
highgrit":2kysm1j9 said:
I hope you do good.
Truth be told I paid just over 1k/hd

You stole 'em :hat: I haven't seen them, but if they're alive...
I don't know about gold. All the guys on TV hocking gold are just a bit creepy. Too much like "Goldfinger".
I'm not sure how much good gold will do me if the currency collapses. Yeah, if I need to flee to a foreign place, bribe some officials, gold would be the way to go. Sorta like the Jews in Casablanca. Some had it, some not. But I'm not leaving. At 62 yrs, I'm just going to have to ride it out in place. I'll have food and meat to trade, if it gets down to that. Really, if social order breaks down in a big way I'm screwed, but so is everyone.
As I end this, whistle the whistlin' part of "Don't worry--Be Happy"

john250":hsy61stg said:
I'm not sure how much good gold will do me if the currency collapses. Yeah, if I need to flee to a foreign place, bribe some officials, gold would be the way to go. Sorta like the Jews in Casablanca. Some had it, some not. But I'm not leaving. At 62 yrs, I'm just going to have to ride it out in place. I'll have food and meat to trade, if it gets down to that.

My dad was a firm believer in 'having something to trade'. Also a firm believer in diversification of assets.

After he died last year, we had to go through his "stuff". This man had way more "stuff" than any of us imagined possible! Stockpiles of aluminum, as in old pans, pieces, parts, cans, pieces of parts etc. Brass, steel, iron etc. Cases of canned wheat. Boxes of flashlights and Bandaids. The list goes on. The reason.... should the US find itself in a place like it was when he was a child in the thirties, he would be as well prepared as humanly possible. Interesting were the reactions of various siblings LOL. Some of us thought it made perfect sense, was logical and smart. Others saw it as nothing but piles of junk and useless items. Soooo, we all know which ones walked off with most of the "useless junk" and which ones didn't.LOL

I think my dad was a smart man.

And john250, I think you'll be just fine!

Katherine

john250":bi9qr146 said:
Caustic Burno":bi9qr146 said:
Luckly I went heavy in long term bond's in 08.

So did I. Wanna buy some Greek Gov. bonds?

No thank you I bought BAB's (Build America Bond's), I don't invest in oversea's anything, in bonds or stock's.
Lot's of people make money at it just not my cup of tea.

Latest posts