discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I inseminated a heifer last night and on redoing her this morning found once I had hold of the cervix she discharged a semen coloured liquid as well as the clear mucus they sometimes discharge.The discharge didnt smell.Is it last nights semen,does she have an infection or is it something else? Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

I would seriously doubt that the discharge that you saw would be he semen that you deposited the day before as that amount of semen is a very small amount of liquid and not usually the same color as bull semen or pus. What comes to mind right away is the possibilty that a bull bred her inbetween your breedings. Is that a possibility? Either a neighbors bull or a bull calve that is big enough to reach her and deposit semen. On a few occasions I have caught a cow in heat in the evening and returned to see a neighbors bull had got in the pasture during the night and when I went in to her and tried to draw mucous out to see if there was evidence of her being bred--I would find a whiteish bull semen mixed with the mucous indicating that the bull had indeed done so. In this case, I just waited a week and gave her a shot of lutayse.<p>While it is possibly to have an infection in a heifer, infections would occur mostly in cows that have had a calve before. That discharge would be a little more creamy in color(pus colored) than what bull semen looks like and if she had an infection than she should be treated by infusing her. Greg
<br>

[email protected]

It "SOUNDS" like, you have the normal mucos discharge that would accompany the correct timing of the insertion of the AI syringe. I could go into the color of the mucos, but you would know without a doubt if it was an infection. The smell and the fluid itself would not leave you with a doubt. At times, the mucos is more clear than at other times. Perhaps, this is what you are questioning. I do know, that if you have a mucos discharge while in AI, your chances of settling the animal goes up. It is a good sign, not one to worry about.<br>Tlonghorn<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts