Discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
AI'd (7-day sync) some of the herd four weeks ago today. We caught one in heat last Saturday, the tech was available and able to come hit her again.

Didn't observe any other heats. One cow, though, had some discharge on her tail on Tuesday (25 days post breeding). Now, I can remember having a cow (different cow) with discharge a few years ago, but if I remember correctly, it was about 3-5 days post breeding (pasture), with a little blood. I had recorded her breeding. Based on that cows calving date, she was bred at that time. So that discharge came after a successful breeding by the bull we had at the time.

So back to the cow with discharge on Tuesday (no blood, no observed heat, 25 days post breeding). Any thoughts? Guesses? Is she more likely open or bred IYO (from your experiences/knowledge)? We will be doing ultrasound next Friday or earlier the next weeks

Thanks
Justin

Unless you saw some other signs of heat ignore it and move on. You can drive yourself insane trying to heat detect based on various discharges.

Wait and see from the ultrasound, but I would lean towards being open

about the only discharge to be concerned about is thick white pus, if you see that, she's likely open. But you're checking her soon anyway.
They can still cycle - and produce the associated blood or clear discharge - while pregnant.

Latest posts