Discbind advise

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
Any advise on a New Idea 5209 dealer has used one he took in on trade .Supposed to be in great shape i havent seen it yet .Looking for opinions on dependabilty,are they hard to get parts for,do they work,Thanks for any input

Most New Idea stuff is also Hesston. I have a New Idea disc mower and parts are readily availbale. All I've needed are blades, standard JD store inventory and skid shoes, avaialbe from 3 dealers in the area.

Lots of New Idea disc bines in this area. Folks cut fast and really like them. I am told the PTO is a high wear area to check.

Prices seem very seasonal and somewhat spotty. At times, you can get a good used disc bine for 5 to 7 K.

I had a 5209 new idea discbine , it was alright but it had some features I didn't like , one being that it was a pain to check the oil in the cutterheads, you had to take each gearbox apart to check it , I only needed to do it once a year , but the guy before me mustn't have done it at all because the were all just aboubt dry , If yu check them once a year it don't take much , there is a special oil you need to use.