DISC MOWERS_KUHN or KRONE

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Fellow hay cutters. Looking for some opinions/experiences.

Krone AMR 240 all gear driven , turtles protected by a roll pin. (cost 1 buck)

Kuhn GMD 240 gear and belt driven, Each turtle protected by a replacable hub. (cost 350 bucks)

This seems like a no brainer, but there are a lot of Kuhns out there and people love them and they have a good rep for haytools.

What am I missing?

There is a you tube video (made by Kuhn, I believe) that shows a Kuhn mower hitting a one inch steel pipe driven in the ground. Turtle comes flying off to protect the remaining gears in the cutter bar.

My only thought is in order for that turtle to come flying off, you have to have a seriously catastophic collision with something, not just nipping a rock.

Any input welcomed. Thanks

I think Krone has the best shear protection in the business, with how the turtles unscrew when the pin shears and prevent them from hitting together. If you do a lot of rough ground, I would look no further.

I'm not real crazy about how Kuhns shear the whole hub and toss it out the back, but it works I guess.

Thanks for the input fellas. I agree Krone seems like a better hub protection although Kuhn seems to have better parts availability (at least in the current climate the country/world is in)

The problem now is finding one. New England dealers are pretty depleted of either one. I seem some in Ga. and Iowa on TH.

Kuhn GMD 240 gear and belt driven, Each turtle protected by a replacable hub. (cost 350 bucks)

This seems like a no brainer, but there are a lot of Kuhns out there and people love them and they have a good rep for haytools.

What am I missing?

There is a you tube video (made by Kuhn, I believe) that shows a Kuhn mower hitting a one inch steel pipe driven in the ground. Turtle comes flying off to protect the remaining gears in the cutter bar.

My only thought is in order for that turtle to come flying off, you have to have a seriously catastophic collision with something, not just nipping a rock.

What am I missing?

I have a Krone mower which I bought used. I am very happy happy with it has cut very well. It will cut a t post off if you get close enough!. I've not had any issues with it.

Latest posts