Disc mowers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
My disc mower is about 14 years old and the company is out of business, so parts are a problem. Still works but the some wear parts are starting to need replacement. Would like to go up to a 8 foot anyway.

What would you buy? Priced a New Holland, Kuhn and a Fort which is another off brand. Cheapest name brand so far is the NH for $8250 and the off brand about $2000 less.

Called about a used NH 616 on Craiglist for $4000, 99 model and had sit out all its life, but guy was on his way to pick it up.

So many of the old mowers use interchangable parts from other pamufacturers, there are a number of ooutfits that sell parts for old stuff. I would give http://www.shoupparts.com a shot before I bought a new mower. Mine is a New Idea and both John Deere and the New holland dealers have parts for it. A neigbor has an old square baler and shop is where he found parts for the knotters. May be worth a shot

dun":vl83ga2f said:
So many of the old mowers use interchangable parts from other pamufacturers, there are a number of ooutfits that sell parts for old stuff. I would give http://www.shoupparts.com a shot before I bought a new mower. Mine is a New Idea and both John Deere and the New holland dealers have parts for it. A neigbor has an old square baler and shop is where he found parts for the knotters. May be worth a shot

All the parts that I have bought from them are good quality, made in USA.

dun":2qx1nieq said:
Not found anything but blades and belts for a Long mower. Few years ago I needed some blade holders and a guy on another forum told about a dealer insouth Carolina that had some, I bought all they had and not been able to find more. Would also like to go up to 8 ft from 7 ft., will probably run it til it quits.

I have a 9ft new idea and it has not ever give me any trouble, and i cut a pretty good amount of hay. I think if i was buying a new one it would probably be a kuhn, around here they are about the same price as a nh and i think they are a little better mower, but thats just my opinion.

High Cotton":1ayei4aw said:
What about Krone? Does any one else here use them?
I don't know much about a krone mower, they look alright, but i have never been impressed with there balers. And around here there are very few dealers.

We run 2 krone mowers. We have a AM283S and AM323S. We haven't had any problem with them other than one seal on the 283. It was from the old man running it with the 3 point hitch on the ground. He wrapped a huge bunch of hay around the shaft several times.

High Cotton":o6mz11w8 said:
We run 2 krone mowers. We have a AM283S and AM323S. We haven't had any problem with them other than one seal on the 283. It was from the old man running it with the 3 point hitch on the ground. He wrapped a huge bunch of hay around the shaft several times.
That's good to know, i have thought they looked like a good mower, but didn't know.

We have a new idea 5209 mower/conditioner, its simple, no belts or chains. Has cut a lot of hay, but we check oil in gear boxes, replace worn blades grease and thats it. New ones are massey ferguson or hesston i believe. Been around for many years that model. my dad and brother looked at krone when they were buying a new self propelled chopper last fall. They liked krone, but no dealer support in our area, that alone could be the death of them i'm afraid.? The john deere big sqaure baler was a old model krone that deere purchased from krone, not the greatest baler, but newwer ones may be better? So anyway, back to your ?, if you are looking for a 9 ft mowwer/cond, my vote is for a 5209 or a newer model 1359 massey.

cowgirl_jenna":2x8t44sg said:
We have a new idea 5209 mower/conditioner, its simple, no belts or chains. Has cut a lot of hay, but we check oil in gear boxes, replace worn blades grease and thats it. New ones are massey ferguson or hesston i believe. Been around for many years that model. my dad and brother looked at krone when they were buying a new self propelled chopper last fall. They liked krone, but no dealer support in our area, that alone could be the death of them i'm afraid.? The john deere big sqaure baler was a old model krone that deere purchased from krone, not the greatest baler, but newwer ones may be better? So anyway, back to your ?, if you are looking for a 9 ft mowwer/cond, my vote is for a 5209 or a newer model 1359 massey.
My NI is a 8 footer. What sold me on it was #1 the price used, #2 parts availability, #3 which may actually be #1, the head of the service department at the local JD dealer has a NI 10 footer.

tom4018":wx0bpmm0 said:
dun":wx0bpmm0 said:
Not found anything but blades and belts for a Long mower. Few years ago I needed some blade holders and a guy on another forum told about a dealer insouth Carolina that had some, I bought all they had and not been able to find more. Would also like to go up to 8 ft from 7 ft., will probably run it til it quits.

I think your Long cutter is actually a Fort Morro(sp?) made cutter. Ironpeddler knows all about this stuff (probably including where you can get parts for what you have). Drop him a PM and I'm sure he will provide you with some useful insight...

OklaBrangusBreeder":12ehakdz said:
tom4018":12ehakdz said:
dun":12ehakdz said:

I think your Long cutter is actually a Fort Morro(sp?) made cutter. Ironpeddler knows all about this stuff (probably including where you can get parts for what you have). Drop him a PM and I'm sure he will provide you with some useful insight...
The newer longs are like the Fort's, but my older one is different. I tried him last time but can try again. I talked to several places that dealt with these mowers and have actually bought all of one dealers stock a few years ago. Not been able to find much since then. I may be able to get a machine shop to make blade holders, but the skids would be another matter. Wonder if some hard surface welding rods would prolong theie life?

tom4018":2fijtc3q said:
Wonder if some hard surface welding rods would prolong theie life?
Yes it will, but you have to lay it on really smooth or it will grab too much to cut smoothly

B&M Farms":y6uae0gc said:
denvermartinfarms":y6uae0gc said:
Welding old leaf springs to the bottoms is the best thing i have ever seen done.
:nod: I have also used old blades from a dozer or grader.
I may try that, we allways have plenty of old cutting edges off dozers and the grader laying around, we hauled 2025lbs of worn out edges, bucket teeth, and track parts off today.

Latest posts