Disc Mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
664
Reaction score
0
Location
Winchester, ky
The old 452 NH (actually made by Kuhn) has finally worn out after 17 years and thousands of acres of reliable service and we are looking for a replacement.
Any thoughts on pros and cons of currently available mowers? Shaft drive vs. Gear drive? Brands? I've heard that one brand in particular is bad to wad up in thick hay, almost as bad as a sickle mower. I won't name the brand, but would like to hear "consumer reports".
 

mtncows

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2006
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Location
virginia mountains
If Kuhn still makes them for NH that might be the place to start.I've also heard good things on this or another forum about New Idea
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
mtncows":1llu2mqh said:
If Kuhn still makes them for NH that might be the place to start.I've also heard good things on this or another forum about New Idea

New Idea is now Hesston
 

LaneFarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Location
north central florida
We bought a Vermeer gator mower three years ago and have had no trouble with it yet. Seems to pull real easy compared to the old New Holland we had before.
 

flaboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
I am pretty sure Sitrex makes the NH mowers now. They are Italian. Got metric wrenches?

I would not rule out Kuhn, Vicon, or Bush Hog. All are very well made.
 

Devin

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2004
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
I really like Vermeer disk mowers. We have had very good luck with them and greaet dealer support. alot of our neighbors run New Hollands and they seem to be really tough too. On the other hand I personnally would stay away from any of the brand names actually mad by Fort. I bought a 9'2" Fort about five years ago and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It was very lightly built, it would clog up terribly in thick hay, and replacement parts were through the roof. Trust me, if you buy a one you are going to need replacement parts. I finally got rid of that thing this spring. I almost gave it away and was never so happy to see anything go. Good luck with you purchase.
 
OP
D

dyates

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
664
Reaction score
0
Location
Winchester, ky
Got a lead on a 3 year old Kuhn that belonged to an old man whose farm was auctioned off. Supposedly it hasn't even been used for two of those three years. I'm gonna go have a looksee this weekend. Guy said he would take $4000 for it. Nothing like almost new equipment for half the price of new.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,792
Reaction score
293
Location
Heart of Texas
dyates":a1sqgvb0 said:
Got a lead on a 3 year old Kuhn that belonged to an old man whose farm was auctioned off. Supposedly it hasn't even been used for two of those three years. I'm gonna go have a looksee this weekend. Guy said he would take $4000 for it. Nothing like almost new equipment for half the price of new.

For sure...and the Kuhn is an excellent mower as well.
 

ironpeddler

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Location
Johnson City, TN 37615
Devin":1ym9h592 said:
I really like Vermeer disk mowers. We have had very good luck with them and greaet dealer support. alot of our neighbors run New Hollands and they seem to be really tough too. On the other hand I personnally would stay away from any of the brand names actually mad by Fort. I bought a 9'2" Fort about five years ago and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It was very lightly built, it would clog up terribly in thick hay, and replacement parts were through the roof. Trust me, if you buy a one you are going to need replacement parts. I finally got rid of that thing this spring. I almost gave it away and was never so happy to see anything go. Good luck with you purchase.
Here are the other marketing names for the Fort/Morra disc mowers:
Panaramma, Bumble B, Yellow-Jacket, Long, FarmTrac, First Choice, Unifarm (red) (Galfre' also made Unifarm in Claas Green)
ef98f12364dace95a09d9d2386b62522.gif
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
I'm running a Vicon that I bought used several years ago. The only problem that I ever have is wearing out the blades... :lol:
 

flaboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
grannysoo":39k50swe said:
I'm running a Vicon that I bought used several years ago. The only problem that I ever have is wearing out the blades... :lol:

Does your Vicon have three blades per head? I had one that did and it was the best cutter I have seen.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
1
Location
South Georgia
I went from a NH/Kuhn to a Fella. Been real pleased with it. Of course I was real pleased with the Kuhn too but I just wore it out. The hitch part was ok, just the rest of it sweated gear oil.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
flaboy":3uhltc9i said:
grannysoo":3uhltc9i said:
I'm running a Vicon that I bought used several years ago. The only problem that I ever have is wearing out the blades... :lol:

Does your Vicon have three blades per head? I had one that did and it was the best cutter I have seen.

Yes, three blades per head. If you keep good blades on this thing, it will lay down some grass......
 
OP
D

dyates

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
664
Reaction score
0
Location
Winchester, ky
Picked up that Kuhn this weekend. The guy said it had only mowed 100 acres and from the looks of it, I believe him. :banana:
 

flaboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
dyates":x0tnafav said:
Picked up that Kuhn this weekend. The guy said it had only mowed 100 acres and from the looks of it, I believe him. :banana:


You stole it then. :D
 

Latest posts

Top