Disc mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I priced a brand new New Holland disc mower this morning. It seemed very expensive. If past performance is an indicator of future performance its a nice machine. Does anybody make one thats comparable on quality?

alot depends on what you call high priced.i just swung a deal for a buddy on a 323 krone cutter an caddy for a tad under $13,500.the cutter is 10.5ft long.

i wouldn't have a disc caddy. you can't make 90 degree turns and since caddies don't have a CV pto shaft you can't turn sharp with them and ever time u do turn you wear on the universal joih. u can buy a disc mower that is trail type cheaper than a disc mower and caddy separately

kuhn is the world's largest manufacture of disk mowers. krone is ok too, stay away from the lely, morroha and other cheap brands

i got the caddy for $2900 or less for my buddy.an the trailed mowers we priced was over $21,000.so my buddy saved over $6000 by going the caddy rout.plus i talked to a custom baler man that swears by the caddies.

Massy, you say kuhn is the largest. Are they dependable? I hear the New Hollands are not holding up. Talked to one guy that has quit carrying them because of it.

I have both a 617 NH and a Kuhn GMD 600-GII HD The NH is about 10 yrs old is an exellent mower theres a couple of minor things i dont like its real hard to hook up and it takes a pretty good size tractor to handle it had a 5610 and it was all it wanted(caddy may fix both of those problems) The Kuhn i just got last yr its a foot shorter but it works on my smaller tractor cuts great so far and hooks up alot easier has 2 wrenches that works for everything. I went with smaller because of hauling that 9ft NH up in the air made me nervous on the trailer.

Most everyone around me runs the Kuhn mower . I have a new holland and it seems to be holding up . If I buy another it will be the Kuhn pull behind . They are shaft driven and you can fun as fast as you can stand to sit in the seat .

We have an older NH mower that was manufactured by kuhn, excellent mower. Will cut circles around vicon and lily mowers. Granddad bought a new new holland about 7 years ago, good mower first two years but after that the cutter bar started leaking and it would eat up belts. He traded it in on a kuhn 2 years ago.

We bought a Kuhn 10 ft. trail mower 2 year ago. Were using
2 9 ft NH haybines. We can cut more than the 2 haybines were cutting and much eaiser. Yes we can choke it down. The dealer said it could not be done. We shopped around the Kuhn make the bars for many of the others. It is much heaiver than the others.

Bigfoot":1ezn59xj said:
Massy, you say kuhn is the largest. Are they dependable? I hear the New Hollands are not holding up. Talked to one guy that has quit carrying them because of it.

kuhn is great. Only problem is if you get a three point hitch type instead of a trailed type, they are a pain to hitch up. For that matter all 3 point disc mowers are a pain to hitch up. Most go for a disc caddy to go with it. I choose the Kuhn trailed type instead, as it will turn very sharp, easy to hook up and you can cut fast

hillrancher":1xxo44mk said:
2 9 ft NH haybines. We can cut more than the 2 haybines were cutting and much eaiser. Yes we can choke it down. The dealer said it could not be done. We shopped around the Kuhn make the bars for many of the others. It is much heaiver than the others.

What were you cutting to choke it down? 3' tall Heavy fescue?

JSCATTLE":3go73l9a said:
Most everyone around me runs the Kuhn mower . I have a new holland and it seems to be holding up . If I buy another it will be the Kuhn pull behind . They are shaft driven and you can fun as fast as you can stand to sit in the seat .

Most everyone around here run's a Kuhn or a Krone cutter.

You would have to like misery not to have a disc mower on a caddy. Much quicker to hook up and a lot easier if they are on a caddy.We are running NH cutters on caddies, tried them without caddies never agin.

bigbull338":38uimbb5 said:
i got the caddy for $2900 or less for my buddy.an the trailed mowers we priced was over $21,000.so my buddy saved over $6000 by going the caddy rout.plus i talked to a custom baler man that swears by the caddies.

I just bought a Kuhn GMD 3550 TL trailed type disc mower. Cuts 11'6" wide. Price was $17,050. My old JD 275 ( same as Kuhn GMD 700) was 9'2" cut. I bought a quick hitch with it and their was nothing quick about it. If the mower wasn't sitting perfectly level, it was a 30 minute or more job to hitch it up. Based on that and needing to speed up, I went with the 11'6" Kuhn. Easier to hook up, and can make corners shorter than 90 degrees. A caddy can't make square corners as the guy above mentioned. The JD 275 cost us $7300 in 2005, got $5000 for a trade in.
Just based on the width alone, I should be able to get done cutting 20% faster, then if the square corners saves me from having to go back and re do all of them I should save another half hour. Then since the trailed type doesn't have the big shoe that the cutter bar rides on (and that always bunches up hay if you aren't careful as you go around corners) I should be 3 times better off. Dang I hate it when that shoe bunches up the hay and before I know it I have a hay stack 5' tall that I have to separate with the pitchfork. :(

I will post a pix of the new cutter when it arrives.

MasseyFerg":sp3elugh said:
hillrancher":sp3elugh said:

What were you cutting to choke it down? 3' tall Heavy fescue?

Bohia will choke any of them.

I just bought a Krone 283 S and it is the easiest disc mower to hook up that I have ever tried. (You unhook one of the back springs before letting it down and the 3 point hitch sits level)
I liked the beefiness of the Krone. Shaft, no belts, solid wielded bar not bolted together.
All of them cut well when new. I hope I still like the Krone 5 years from now.

I am thinking about going from a disc bine to a disc mower.

How much legume can you have in the forage mix before you miss the conditioning rolls?

I own a discbine and also a straight disc mower. UP here in the frozen tundra no matter if its 100% grass or 70% trefoil the conditioner machine cut hay is always dry 1 day earlier and often 2 days.

Needless to say the plain disc mower is nothing but a backup machine anymore.

Steel on steel rolls set tight. We are in a damp soil humid climate (the big ice cube lake is 1/2 mile away) so uncrimped stems can take forever to dry expecially when they are on the bottom sitting on cold wet clay soil.

Latest posts