Disc mower

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":1u4yro37 said:
I'm running a BushHog HM 2409, I believe the bar is a KUHN.
The Bush Hog HM2400 Series disc mowers are made by Taarup of the Kverneland Group with an oil bath cutterbar.
HM2408.gif

Iron Peddler -

What's your opinion of the Vermeer and Vicon trailed (non-conditioning) disk mowers? I've heard the Vicons as problems with the tongue tearing loose from the rest of the hitch but I'm assuming they've worked that problem out.

What horsepower is required for these 10 - 13' mowers and how do they compare price wise to the 3 pt models?

Subsoil":29w9kigs said:
Iron Peddler -

What's your opinion of the Vermeer and Vicon trailed (non-conditioning) disk mowers? I've heard the Vicons as problems with the tongue tearing loose from the rest of the hitch but I'm assuming they've worked that problem out.

What horsepower is required for these 10 - 13' mowers and how do they compare price wise to the 3 pt models?

There are 3 main differences between the Vicon and Vermeer pull type non-conditioning mowers. Both mowers are premium quality machines.

1. The Vermeer will mow behind the tractor (in transport position) or out to the side and the Vicon will only mow when out to the side. Why is this an advantage? The Vermeer mower has greater maneuverability and will work better around obstacles or uneven ground.

2. The Vermeer is shaft driven with 1/3 less moving parts and needs 20% less HP to operate.

3. The Vermeer has the Quick clip quick change blades.

TMSPECS.jpg

I looked at one of the vermeer trailed type mowers this week and do believe it will be my next one. Dealer says you can pull it down the road behind pickup with no problem. We had been looking into buying a caddy for our mower but you can buy this mower cheaper than you can buy a caddy and mower seperate. Dealer said cost for the 12.5' model was around 11k.

Several years ago I was helping a friend of mine cut hay and his NH mower/conditioner went down on us. He borrowed a disc mower from a neighbor. Can't remember the name but it started with a Z. It took about 10 days to cut 200 acres and we spent most of our time up to our elbows in grease.

On a side note... I am yet to see my first self propeled swather in this part of Texas. Does anyone have an explanation for that?Z

On a side note... I am yet to see my first self propeled swather in this part of Texas. Does anyone have an explanation for that?Z

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :shock:

Thanks for the imput, bought a Kuhn gmd800. Now if I can find some grass to try it on. ;-)

I got a New Idea 5409 and in my opinion its the best out there. Simple to maintain. I looked at the New Holland and I think it is as good as mine. The others just seemed weak and maintence nightmares.

KenB":75dwr48k said:
Has anyone heard of a Fella brand disc mower?

Yeah I have some brochures on those. I've seen one at a shortline dealer up near Shiner but I'm not sure if he's carrying them anymore. I know he has JF mowers now and maybe Sitrex. I'm not sure but if I remember right all those look like Italian mowers to me. I've heard varying stories on the Italian mowers, mostly that they're cheap knockoffs that really aren't that cheap. My Zweegers is built in Holland and the Kuhns are German, and both are really great IMHO. I've had the best luck with German engineering. They sure know how to build a good machine. I was still running my Claas/Ford 640 combine when I was row cropping and it did a wonderful job. Almost everyone here runs Kuhn mowers and that's about all you can find on the mainline dealer lots here anymore, so that aught to tell you something. Even the New Holland dealer is selling Kuhns alongside the New Holland mowers and he usually keeps 2-3 NH's in stock and about 6 Kuhn's so that should tell you he's selling a lot more Kuhns. He flirted with a few Vicons last year or so but he's only got one 13 foot drag-type left on the lot, and it's too pricey for anybody around here. My NH dealer in Shiner doesn't have any new NH mowers on the lot at all that I've seen lately and keeps only Kuhns in stock. The Case dealers here are stocking mostly Vermeer mowers.

What's been you guy's experience on how well the shaft-between-box mowers hold up versus the gearbed-type mowers?? I'm just curious since sooner or later I'll have to replace my drum mower. Yall take it easy! OL JR :)

A local dealer had a very lisghtly used Fella that he was selling for 1/3 of the same size New Idea. When it sounds too good to be true, etc.

dun

My cutter is a 9f 10in Fella. Its German made if I remember correctly. Been using for 5 years now. It has need nothing more than blades and lube, works great.

jwtexas":3pjf774f said:
My cutter is a 9f 10in Fella. Its German made if I remember correctly. Been using for 5 years now. It has need nothing more than blades and lube, works great.

I have a Fella SM 240 with a 8 foot cut.
I bought it about a year ago, and have not used it yet.
Do you have any idea where I could get parts for it if I need any?
I am going to try to get it in shape this winter to use next year.

KenB":19ojbc5x said:
jwtexas":19ojbc5x said:

I have a Fella SM 240 with a 8 foot cut.
I bought it about a year ago, and have not used it yet.
Do you have any idea where I could get parts for it if I need any?
I am going to try to get it in shape this winter to use next year.
I bought mine at the New Holland dealer in Sulpher Springs Texas.

jw then you would have tobe talking about dairyland new holland.they good people.all though i dont deal with them much.unless im needing parts.

bigbull338":4lfzgsx0 said:
jw then you would have tobe talking about dairyland new holland.they good people.all though i dont deal with them much.unless im needing parts.
Yep thats the place, have always been very helpful to me.

I may have to get the Ironpeddler to ship me one down here. I have sent out inquiries to 10 dealers here in Fla and got one response. I can't find a Vicon dealer. Google search shows only 4 Vicon dealers in the USA. I had one years ago and loved it. I kind of wanted to get another but with no dealers around I don't know about it.

I got a quote for $7500 for a NH616. That is only quote I have gotten. I have looked at the Bushhog, Massey, NH, Kuhn, Krone, Vermeer, New Idea, Hesston, and Haymaxx. I really like the shaft drive units but I guess since I have used belt drives for many year they are ok too.

The Massy, Hesston, and Haymaxx all appear to be about the same as my old Fort Italian made POS. Guess I can't complain though it has lasted 8 years with not too much expense of repairs. Maybe $500 over those years.

My problem is finding a dealer around here that has any to look at or finding a reasonable price.

I will have one by next cutting season though.

Edited - Just got a quote for the Kuhn GMD 600 @$7350.
Edited - Just got a quote for the Deere 265 @$9350.
Edited 10/10 - got quote on Bushhog HM2408 @$7229.

For a Vicon you can call Capital Tractor in Montgomery Alabama at 334 264 0086. He has several sitting on his lot. I saw them a few weeks ago.

flaboy-":uw1w51zn said:
The Massy, Hesston, and Haymaxx all appear to be about the same as my old Fort Italian made POS.
None of the mowers you mentioned in the quote above use the old oil-bath cutterbar technology like Fort, JD and Kuhn currently use.

The Massey & Hesston are made by New Idea and are the same mowers with parts being interchangeable. These mowers have a shaft driven cutterbar, that is driven by belts.

The HayMAXX is the same as the Vermeer/Lely system. The Vermeer has the Kevlar curtain and the HayMAXX has a standard heavy duty curtain like all the premium mowers have. The HayMaxx has the same shaft driven cutterbar system with some updates, that has been used in the Lely disc mower from the 1980's. The HayMaxx uses the same hex shaft design that Vermeer uses in their current disc mowers.

Haymax%20Mower%20014s.jpg

Latest posts