Disc Mower vs Haybine

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello board,

Just getting into the hay business on my own here. Have a JD 4020D and a Vermeer 605L. Yes, have somewhat got the cart ahead of the horse.... ;) We dont need to get into the economics of this, this decision made sense for my situation.

As I dont have a great deal of designated hayground at this point, Im hoping to pick up a lot of ditch hay this summer. I dont have a lot of money to dump into a haycutter, and would like something that would work for ditches, and at the same time could take it out in the field and cut 30 acres with it. Is there such a beast?

For ditches, I'm betting a disc mower followed by a rake would be my best bet? I have been looking at the Hesston 1014 hydroswing, but feel I would be limiting myself to more open hayfields. Hope to upgrade in a few years, just need something to get me going for now.

Thanks.

Can't imagine ever going back to a sickle bar of any type.
Disc-bine or mower all the way.

rgv

If you're looking for something cheap to start off with, why not get an older NH 492 or 1465? Good machines, pretty cheap now with everyone wanting discbines, and the parts are cheap. I've hit stumps with the old haybines and had to do $20 in repairs, then rolled up some high-tensile in my discbine and spent $1000 in parts. It would be easier for me to spend 2 or 3 grand on a decent haybine and sell it for $1000 a few years down the road than to spend 10k on a used discbine to trade it off for 5k or less. For short-term, go cheap.

cfpinz

cfpinz":17gpi844 said:
If you're looking for something cheap to start off with, why not get an older NH 492 or 1465? Good machines, pretty cheap now with everyone wanting discbines, and the parts are cheap. I've hit stumps with the old haybines and had to do $20 in repairs, then rolled up some high-tensile in my discbine and spent $1000 in parts. It would be easier for me to spend 2 or 3 grand on a decent haybine and sell it for $1000 a few years down the road than to spend 10k on a used discbine to trade it off for 5k or less. For short-term, go cheap.

cfpinz

Thanks cfpinz:

I did a search on those particular models......looked like they'd fit the bill nicely. I think along the same lines as you. Now if I can find one close by for a good price.

Any suggestions on a good rake ?

For right of ways I would think a 3 point mounted disk mower would be the way to go because of the manuverability as well as a fast and easy fold and a narrow transport width.

My other concern using a swather with a conditioner would be the effect of beer bottles running through the rolls.

Subsoil":11yrzz24 said:
For right of ways I would think a 3 point mounted disk mower would be the way to go because of the manuverability as well as a fast and easy fold and a narrow transport width.

My other concern using a swather with a conditioner would be the effect of beer bottles running through the rolls.

I've never used a 3pt disc mower, but would seem handy enough. Ended up replacing the rubber rollers on my discbine a few years ago with steel ones, big improvement as far as durability, didn't notice any difference in drytime. Beer bottles suck. If I ever catch the jerk on my road that drinks Bud Light he's in trouble.

As far as rakes, any v-rake that's in good shape and reasonably priced. Manufacturer is not really all that important as far as rakes go, most parts are generic.

cfpinz

you dont want a haybine.its a pain in the backside to pull the sickle bar.an replace the blades.an it takes alot of time to replace them.you want a disc mower.the blades on them last for 80acs.you cut 40acs flipp over cut another 40acs.takes about 2hrs to change the blades.the more you do it the faster you get.

If you are in SD, the chances are you have some rocky ground.

A disc mower is not what you want in that situation as the rocks will beat it to pieces in short fashion.

bigbull338":nt9lnwxi said:
you dont want a haybine.its a pain in the backside to pull the sickle bar.an replace the blades.an it takes alot of time to replace them.you want a disc mower.the blades on them last for 80acs.you cut 40acs flipp over cut another 40acs.takes about 2hrs to change the blades.the more you do it the faster you get.

Back when all I had was a haybine, I could have the bar out, replace 2 or 3 sections, and slap the bar back in place in under 10 minutes. And that was with riveted sections, didn't have the fancy bolt-in jobs. But I had plenty of practice. :roll:

The life of a set of discbine blades has a lot to do with the soil in your area and what you are cutting, our soil has no sand and most of the fields have been cleared of rocks thru trial and error. I average about 300-400 acres on a set of discbine blades each year, then flip them and use the other side the next year. I usually hit them with the grinder every 50-100 acres or so to freshen up the edge, works pretty good. I've chipped quite a few and broken a couple, but never had one bend on the Vermeer. Just about all the neighbors have JD or NH machines and it's not uncommon for them to bend blades. Some of them use the name brand blades and others use generics, I use the Vermeer blades.

Never been to South Dakota, what do most folks use in your area for right of way mowing? I'm assuming ROWs are road ditches, etc...? We don't have those types of deals here.

cfpinz

I've never taken the bar out of my 489 to replace a knife. I just unbolt the guard to the right and left of the knife, bolt on a new knife and bolt the guards back on. Less than 15 minutes.

cfpinz":17wkw16q said:
If you're looking for something cheap to start off with, why not get an older NH 492 or 1465? Good machines, pretty cheap now with everyone wanting discbines, and the parts are cheap. I've hit stumps with the old haybines and had to do $20 in repairs, then rolled up some high-tensile in my discbine and spent $1000 in parts. cfpinz

Dealers seem to want $4000 for a good NH haybine. You see some very used ones go for $1000 and up at an auction. What do you consider cheap?

Stocker Steve":19gyz04b said:
Dealers seem to want $4000 for a good NH haybine. You see some very used ones go for $1000 and up at an auction. What do you consider cheap?

A very nice machine in the $3000-$4000 range would be reasonably priced to me. Buy it, run the snot out of it until it won't run no more and dump it for $1000 or less. At worst you've lost 2 to 3 grand. And the maintenance is very reasonable. Try to do that with a discbine. A good used one starts at $10k, then figure in maintenace costs and salvage value.

cfpinz

we have a NH 492 haybine runs great i like it discbine isnt worth buying for us . parts are always readily availiable for us to

sickle bars are crap. Rocks are always breaking things. Disc mower is the way to go, you might nick a knife but that's about it. I have had a Case IH disc mower and now a JD. I have never broke a knife in 17 years

farmerjohn":2bvfhy3d said:
sickle bars are crap. Rocks are always breaking things. Disc mower is the way to go, you might nick a knife but that's about it. I have had a Case IH disc mower and now a JD. I have never broke a knife in 17 years

I only have one complaint with disk mowers. They can throw a rock big enough to break the glass in JD tractor and those glass doors are seriously pricey.

dun

dun":2hnswlbj said:
I only have one complaint with disk mowers. They can throw a rock big enough to break the glass in JD tractor and those glass doors are seriously pricey.

dun

I use an open station to cut with most of the time. A rock to the back of the noggin sucks also.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1pqg0j22 said:
dun":1pqg0j22 said:

dun

I use an open station to cut with most of the time. A rock to the back of the noggin sucks also.

cfpinz

Your wife been pelting rocks at you again?
I would think the rock would think it sucks wacking you in the head even more then you do

cfpinz":2cy47yui said:
dun":2cy47yui said:
Your wife been pelting rocks at you again?

If she was the one throwing them I'd be perfectly safe.

cfpinz

Lets see, where did I put that list of comments for her?

dun