Disc mower questions??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I did some tractor buying and selling in the last couple weeks. Went from a 45 HP to an 80 HP. Always used a drum mower on the little tractor. I like it real well. I actually bought an old 961 ford so I would have a use for all my small implements. I think I'll step up to a disc mower on the new tractor. Can anybody recommend a brand and width for this 80 HP tractor? New Holland is what is available locally. My brother had two, and they seemed to be lemons. If he just had bad luck, then I'll go that direction.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
We run a Khun.

7 footer I think?

I like my Kuhn drum mower. It's 1/3rd the price of a disc to. I just hate to cut a width that small with a big tractor.

I have a 7 foot Kuhn. Going on 7 years of usage. Really bulletproof (knock on wood) beyond replacing blades periodically.

At one time Kuhn also made John Deere disc mowers. At least they looked exactly the same, cost a bit more, and a dealer said if you scratched the paint you'd find orange underneath.

I believe their are some posters on CT that have Bush Hog and Vicon.

The Kuhns are nice though.

I also have a Kuhn and have had great luck with it. That new tractor will pull 9' as fast as you can stay in the seat. I think mine is a GMD 700 GII.

Trailed or 3pt? And just a mower or mower/conditioner? Makes a difference when it comes to HP requirements.

80hp would probably be okay with a 10ft mower on flat ground. I have run a 10'6" Vermeer trailed moco with a 90hp MFWD Case. Works fine.

We've got an 8 ft Vermeer we've been real pleased with. We mow with a 60hp Ford, so I'd say you could handle a 9 or 10 foot no problem.

I got a new Holland 615 and 616. They have been good mowers. Main thing is to keep up on the maintenance and change the oil every year. I think your new tractor would be fine with either one.

pricefarm said:
I got a new Holland 615 and 616. They have been good mowers. Main thing is to keep up on the maintenance and change the oil every year. I think your new tractor would be fine with either one.

Not sure they make them anymore but I have a New Idea tgatb I have been happy with. The manual says to change the grease every 1000 hours of use.

I think the new ideas where similar to the Vermeer mowers. The New Holland's have gear oil in each pod. Every pod or disc is separated from the next one. So you have to drain each one separate. Iam pretty sure it says to change the oil every 100 hours or once a year whichever one comes first.

pricefarm said:
I think the new ideas where similar to the Vermeer mowers. The New Holland's have gear oil in each pod. Every pod or disc is separated from the next one. So you have to drain each one separate. Iam pretty sure it says to change the oil every 100 hours or once a year whichever one comes first.
The New Idea is separate also but has heavy grease instead of oil.

Depends on your ground, I use a 8ft Kuhn mostly on 105hp seems to make a nicer cut, have a 9ft New Holland use sometimes, both are great mowers, the new Holland seems to weigh twice as much, a lot harder to put on the tractor.

I pull a Kuhn GMD 240 with a 62 hp tractor, it is a 8 foot mower. Had it about 5 years I guess now. Nothing but blades so far.

Atimm693 said:
Trailed or 3pt? And just a mower or mower/conditioner? Makes a difference when it comes to HP requirements.

80hp would probably be okay with a 10ft mower on flat ground. I have run a 10'6" Vermeer trailed moco with a 90hp MFWD Case. Works fine.

3pt, disc mower only, no conditioner.

Salesman made the Kuhn gmd 24 sound like a good one. $8950, seems like a fortune for one, but I guess it's not.

We had a couple new holland 616 i think. Good mowers but a bear to get hooked up. You would not want to take it off to rake and put back on.

Bought 7' NH disc mower couple years ago and love it. Doesn't see a lot of use - many on here cut more on a single cut than my whole season... It can be a slight pain to put on / off (15 minutes sometimes with a few trips to the cab). Not sure of exact weight, but it's real heavy. Don't think I'd want a 10' on anything less than 100hp without a caddy.

Latest posts