disc mower cutter bar leaking

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
got a kuhn gmd 600 GII disc mower leaking oil on bottom side of cutterbar under the skid shoes. anyone had any luck repairing this type of leak?

If you have access to a TIG welder and can use it by all means weld it on the outside. It is a heck of a job to separate the halves. If not proficient with TIG welding then find someone that is. Regular arc welding will blow a hole in pretty quick because the metal is thinned out by wear.

scf84":gart3y43 said:
i am decent with a mig
I have mig welded them, as well as stick. Some big gun will tell you other wise, but I'd turn it upside down, and use a 6011 rod. You can see your puddle with a 6011, and have a decent idea if your fixing to blow through.

i hit a old post on theg roudn with mine a couple weeks ago and bent the blade at 90 degrees.. it cut a huge hole in my cutter bar. I couldn't believe it.

I welded it with a stick welder and she's like brand new again :)

Tap around it with a small ball peen hammer to tell if the leaking area is thin. If it's not, put a root in with 6010 or 6011 and cap it with 7018. The 7018 is harder and will not wear off as fast as a 60 series rod and if you show three beads, the two outside ones will protect the one that actually sealed the crack. If a crack has developed, be sure to drill each end of the crack with a 1/8" bit before welding. Weld over the drill holes. The holes will keep it from cracking further after the repair is done. Have a water hose or fire extinguisher handy. Oil can burn. I would also do it outside.

Balin' Wire":136plf1g said:
Tap around it with a small ball peen hammer to tell if the leaking area is thin. If it's not, put a root in with 6010 or 6011 and cap it with 7018. The 7018 is harder and will not wear off as fast as a 60 series rod and if you show three beads, the two outside ones will protect the one that actually sealed the crack. If a crack has developed, be sure to drill each end of the crack with a 1/8" bit before welding. Weld over the drill holes. The holes will keep it from cracking further after the repair is done. Have a water hose or fire extinguisher handy. Oil can burn. I would also do it outside.

You schooled me on drilling a hole at the end of crack. Thanks. That's going in my mental folder.

Latest posts